OC nationals

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

OC nationals

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Why are the Nationals in a state where their are only a hand full of OC boaters.. It doesn't make sense to hold the big race across the country from the majority of boaters.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Richard,
I agree, but if only 1 person or group puts in a bid, that's where it's going to be held.

Jkaz
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

Here are a few thoughts and facts.... Colorado is a great paddling destination/vacation. The last Nationals in Colorado (1999) had the second best turn-out ,99. Only Minden, Ont. (2002) topped that number with 115. All other sites over the years have had between 70 and 90ish. There are plenty of open boaters in the West. We are just spread over a huge area. Why should we racers from CA, UT, CO, OR, WA, ID and MT travel to Wausau or all the way East EVERY year? I have mentioned this in the past but considering Montana has only 900K people, the Nationals here in 2004 had 24 local entries, roughly twice any other hosting state.
WE ARE OUT HERE!! If I can make the drive/fly, so can you!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Why do you ask Richard?

It's called "Nationals"... not the East of the Mississippi WW-Canoe Slalom Championships

There's going to be great water in Colorado this year and lot's of people are making a multi-week vacation out of it to hit other runs aside from the race site. Sounds fun don't it?

Really wish I was able to go this year... :cry:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I think it's really good to have it outside the biggest hotspot as it increases the visibility of open boating in areas that need it much more. Expanding the sport expands everyones customer base. :)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I really am not trying to pick a fight here I was just curious I have spent a lot of time out west and I have not seen 20 ocers in the 10 years I have been going out. I dont really care where it is held because I dont race. But I was curious if the west has more racers in it then it has reg boaters.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Jim
C Guru

Colorado

Post by Jim »

It is not about the destination... it is about the trip.

Unfortunately, I will not make it this year.
Jim
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

most 'boaters' who boat as much as they can and just want to be on the water... can't afford to make the trip, or can't justify the cost...

a plane ticket alone is like 10+ trips to great rivers around here...

I was at OC Nationals last year to spectate and boat other rivers because I wanted to check it out and because it was within driving distance.

I'll be at the next nationals that are within driving distance...
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

but I also think Smurf has a point as well. By moving it out of the hotspot it could grow the sport... which is good stuff.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Craig Smerda wrote:Why do you ask Richard?

It's called "Nationals"... not the East of the Mississippi WW-Canoe Slalom Championships
smerda does it again...:lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I think Tom hit the nail on the head - I think it is important to move the location around, as a lot of folks are only going to go if it is in driving distance (or a comfortable driving distance I should say). Certainly there is a die hard group that will go where ever it is each year, but it is GREAT for them to interact with different boaters in different regions, as it does help the sport grow, an introduce more folks to what a whitewater canoe can do. I know when I participated in the WildWater Nationals I had fun, meant a lot of new folks, and learned a lot. It was a great experience. When it is held nearby again, and I have time, I'll likely compete again.
Keep the C!
Adam
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I heard people whine about driving just 6 hours to ALF. Can't please everyone, all the time. If people want it, they will make it happen. Its what we do.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I heard people whine about driving just 6 hours to ALF. Can't please everyone, all the time. If people want it, they will make it happen. Its what we do.
6 hours? SIX hours?!

I know you drove a long way smurf. I drove 21 hours from Maine, smiling all the way, may I add.

Colorado is more up near 30 some hours for me I think.... Thus I will not be going to watch nationals, but it does seem like a great location for it. Especially with all the snow melt they have going on out west!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

You guys should be happy to have OC Nationals at all, even OC'ing in any kind of sanctioned racing set up is nonexistent in Europe at all. Wish everybody tons of fun - it can't be wrong anywhere as long as there's enough water and a gradient around!
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

TNbound wrote:
Smurfwarrior wrote:I heard people whine about driving just 6 hours to ALF. Can't please everyone, all the time. If people want it, they will make it happen. Its what we do.
6 hours? SIX hours?!

I know you drove a long way smurf. I drove 21 hours from Maine, smiling all the way, may I add.

Colorado is more up near 30 some hours for me I think.... Thus I will not be going to watch nationals, but it does seem like a great location for it. Especially with all the snow melt they have going on out west!
We drove 18 hours to ALF, and have done so for quite a few years. I wouldn't drive 18 hours for Nationals. The reasons are fairly simple: I have access to other slalom events that are closer, I'm not a contender, and frankly, you don't get that much paddling in on a slalom event. I find the on-water time to be quite minimal once the event starts.