Esquif Vertige X Tandem

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

clarion
C Guru

Esquif Vertige X Tandem

Post by clarion »

A buddy of mine, Nightswimmer, is thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these but he'd like to hear what folks think about it. He posed his message on the wrong forum so he likely won't get replies, so I'm asking here.

He's about 200 and his GF is about 120 and both are experienced in class II. They'd like to step it up a bit from the Prospector 15 they paddle now. The highest water level they'll likely do is the Lower Yough.

Input on the boat is greatly appreciated.
It AIN'T bent.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I paddled one for a couple days on some light Class I-II. It wasn't the easiest boat to keep straight, but it made up for it with its turniness; you could spin in and out of eddies with it. Surfed great for a tandem boat.

Some day I want to get either the X or a Blast and find someone who wants to learn how to roll it with me, so we can do more serious runs. It'd be a blast on the LY (as would the Blast)
Chris Loomis
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Most of the Vertige X's come with the triple saddle installed, so if Nightswimmer wants to paddle it solo as well, I don't think it will be way too much boat for him. When I did my ACA level 4, our instructor trainer was the head of guiding and instruction from Zoar in MA, who is a (really fantastic) lady on the smaller side. She paddled one both solo and tandem, and made it look easy, but then again, that's why she is an IT. :)

Shep
nikace

Post by nikace »

I've paddled it a couple of times also, is obviously a whole other league than a prospector 15, with it's extreme rocker, but at least its more managable than a blast.
It's suprisingly not that hard to roll, and compared to the blast, even if you are 2 peopole in it you can still fit a good coulpe of 30l barrels.
And as said previously a good surfer.
I think your friend is going for quite a good boat, class I and II might be a tad easy in a vertige tho, he'll want to step it up a knotch :P
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I have one that i just got. Great fun little boat with my son who is 12, does everything well and boofs great. I just neeed to foam out my side walls and add a barrel inthe center. Will put it through the paces in next few weeks on whitewater courses
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Can't argue with what the others said.

The V-X is solid and predictable, but playful. Surfs very well. It can be a little wet in big waves, but what open boat isn't?

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

check with Eli... he's spent a good bit of tandem time in one to my knowledge.

http://www.thecanoeguru.com/
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter