Aquabound Edge paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

you must get the extra special ones tommy. i've only seen 3 AB breakdowns used (one was mine) and none of them have come back apart afterwards.....
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

who knows... I might have some special paddles... lol i dunno.

when did you encounter/witness this happening? I'm wondering - because of having 3, and it not occuring yet.

I haven't heard of any issues like that - other than from you and phil(same thing phil?)... which the two of you rather credible...so i dont doubt you speak the truth

If I encounter this, or keep hearing of it, I'll let them know, and see if we cant get to the bottom of it and get it fixed.

Ive been more than happy with their paddles. AB has been very receptive of my input in terms of improving the paddles(I have only paddled with the 'Edge' line). They are also quick to find solutions when they hear of re-occuring issues. Maybe they recognized a problem at some point and found a solution already? Push Pin, twist, and pull - seems to work fine in the paddles that i've gotten as of the last year.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

My breakdown paddle requires a horse team and a good anchor to get it apart... :wink:
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

so are you sponsored?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

h2sk1
    C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

Shep wrote:My breakdown paddle requires a horse team and a good anchor to get it apart... :wink:
    I have a 3 piece AB break-apart, and you're correct, it is nearly impossible to get it apart. It is easily a 2 person job.
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

From AB - "We do not build the 3pc unless someone special orders it. I guess I’ve never asked anyone why they want 3pcs, but I’ve assumed it would be for air travel, backpack… The fiberglass version went by the wayside two years ago, but several are still circulating out there; we only build the carbon version now. "

Is this just with the 3 piece version that this is happening with?

By the way - what are other breakdown paddle options? cost?
    Shep
    CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Yes. It is the two sides of the carbon fiber shaft, not the blade, that are very difficult to get apart. Having a two piece shaft makes it fit very well in the end of a taureau. So this problem is specific to the 3-piece. Thanks for clarifying!
    oopsiflipped
    CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i'm not sure about roy's, but mine was a three piece and the other one i've seen was a kayak paddle. I don't think it was the shaft segments that wouldn't detach, but the blade maybe?
    Shep
    CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

If the force required to detach different parts may be vary from "just right" to "Superman strength", that suggests there is a tolerance issue on the inside of the shaft. I don't know about plastic and carbon fiber, but I know with metal, .0005" can be the difference between sliding in easily and a press fit, so it shouldn't take a large tolerance to cause this problem. I still consider this an inconvenience at worst, and not something that would keep me from buying another one.

Shep
    philcanoe
    C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

oopsiflipped wrote:i'm not sure about roy's, but mine was a three piece and the other one i've seen was a kayak paddle. I don't think it was the shaft segments that wouldn't detach, but the blade maybe?
    (seem to remember)

With Roy's (a 3 piece) it was blade end. I remember mostly that it took the two of us to twist it apart. One turning the blade end, awhile the other held onto shaft with both hands. Believe we may have put it back together to help get blade off with some tapping on t-grip. Was beginning to worry it would not come apart, which would have presented a problem in a S'Fly. It's was a couple years at ALF, so memory is a bit fuzzy. Recall Roy saying Steve had a similar problem, although it could have been with same paddle.

If mine I'd think about sanding the two a little bit, with a relatively fine grit.
      philcanoe
      C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Standingman wrote:From what I understood they make a FG reinforced ABS blade with a FG shaft and what I have, a carbon reinforced blade with a carbon shaft. 8)
      Tried Jeff's (Standingman) Carbon Edge this weekend and he cleared up that flimsy issue for me. Appears we were talking about black and white issues. I knew the edge paddle as the white blade (which I still call flimsy), and they use the same name for their carbon paddle.... go figure???

They really ought to rename one, because it does a big disservice to the other.
        Wendy
        Paddling Benefactor

Glad to hear that Phil my carbon Edge is great

Post by Wendy »

I have used it to paddle, as a crutch/walking stick and it is 5 years old and doing great.
        FullGnarlzOC
        C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Phil - AB stopped making the white blade Edges that you speak(these go for the 3 pc ones w/ the seperating problems as well) right around last may, when I bought my Edge.

- Now they only make the black bladed paddles - which have been a huge improvement across the board.

As far as lightweight, RELIABILITY and COST - you'd be hard pressed to find a better breakdown paddle. They can be ordered online from several different places.
        FullGnarlzOC
        C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

http://www.vimeo.com/20696912 - was tucked under the air bag...for gnarly occasions.

..side note.. what a crazy experience.