if you could have another *new* C-boat right now...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Something longer lasting than even plastic....
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    marclamenace
    CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

philcanoe wrote:Something longer lasting than even plastic....
    Thread hijack alarm... :o

There was a rumor about a year ago about a new material that LL would have licensed something like twintex but polypropylene resin over polypropylene (different density) mesh... I tought they would be on the work to bring some boats out of this soon but it's been a while and nothing poping up just yet... Anybody heard anything?

That one and the other rumor that jackson or other might come up with C1 factory outfitting are haunting my dreams for a while now. :roll:
    Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
    driftwood
    C Guru

Post by driftwood »

A smaller ledge
    all the kayak companies make boats in smaller sizes why not canoes

The Ledge is in my arm pit when I paddle it.

Or said another way, add some speed to the hull and volume to the ends of the Spanish fly.

J. Wood
    Will dance for rain
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

driftwood wrote:A smaller ledge
    all the kayak companies make boats in smaller sizes why not canoes

The Ledge is in my arm pit when I paddle it.

Or said another way, add some speed to the hull and volume to the ends of the Spanish fly.

J. Wood
    Firstly, isn't that what the Option is supposed to be?

Secondly, Really? There are literally dozens of excellent boats out there for the smaller paddler, the l'edge is the best of a bunch of five at the most which can handle a big fellow.

Also what's with the obsession with oc1's... the C1 market that's crying out for something (I dare say not having to convert boats might even bring in some new converts to the sport); unfortunately it's never agreed what we want in a C1, instead it's bitterly argued over.
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    RodeoClown
    BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

markzak wrote:I want a tandem version of the Blackfly Ion, seriously. I'm thinking it could make a good solo boat for the bigger boys (and gals) too.
    If I ever get caught up on everything else, this is a project I'm planning on investigating a bit... Call it the Ion+
    Jeremy Laucks
    Owner, Blackfly Canoes
    http://www.blackflycanoes.com
    KNeal
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

A plastic Groove, especially one that floats 190 lbs. (plus :roll: ) better than the prototype.
    C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
    busterblue
    CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I'd get a Spark. I've never tried one, but the descriptions make it sound like the perfect complement to my L'edge.

If I were in a flatwater mood: Wenonah Voyageur. It has been on my mind for a while. (And is the subject of much Craigslist trawling).
    (I dare say not having to convert boats might even bring in some new converts to the sport)
    That certainly describes me. I definitely will try a C1 someday. But I'm not very ambitious...
    Craig Smerda
    L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:unfortunately it's never agreed what we want in a C1, instead it's bitterly argued over.
    /\/\/\/\/\ get's it /\/\/\/\/\/\ :lol:

then again... even if you make it... some will still complain. :roll:
    Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
    Smurfwarrior
    C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Make it anyway Craig. :)
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Craig Smerda wrote:
    TheKrikkitWars wrote:unfortunately it's never agreed what we want in a C1, instead it's bitterly argued over.

Sounds like a challenge.... can anyone think of a resin that sticks to polythene well?

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
    Larry Horne
    C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Craig Smerda wrote:

key words being "A c1" and "IT".

people will always argue over all boats. Clearly, it's up to the builder to decide what to build. I mean really man... quit polling, take a stance and do something already! :)
    Larry
    Shep
    CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Larry Horne wrote: people will always argue over all boats. Clearly, it's up to the builder to decide what to build. I mean really man... quit polling, take a stance and do something already! :)
    *Like*

Yeah, clearly the L'Edge has worked out well. :)

That said, I would be interested in a modernized version of a Cascade.

Shep
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Larry Horne wrote:
    Craig Smerda wrote:

key words being "A c1" and "IT".

people will always argue over all boats. Clearly, it's up to the builder to decide what to build. I mean really man... quit polling, take a stance and do something already! :)
    Yeah, problematically all the people thinking of a plastic c1 up to now have either been buttboat designers, or have had to make a business case to people who sell buttboats... as a result they need to make a product that will sell for it to be worthwhile for them, compartively those who do it for the love of canoeing (and to create a boat they want to paddle)...

I think I now now what boat to modify into what other boat now (after my slalomboat turned out to be too good to chop up... it's just how much to add and where.

KNeal
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Larry Horne wrote:I mean really man... quit polling, take a stance and do something already! :)
    Thumbs up for this one. 8)
    C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
    Bruce Farrenkopf
    CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

A second generation Finkenmeister......
    1) with a flatter front deck (this would make rolling easier and crossover strokes easier). The Fink is way too DEEP.
    2) with conventional outfitting - thigh straps
    3) with a 'somewhat' flatter bottom - this would yield better primary stability and would allow the knees to be set lower and wider (think Drakkar Wheelboy).

I regret that C1's don't evolve into better boats as many kayaks do. The designer puts something out there and that's the end of it. That is sometimes the end of the company too. :cry: Design evolution helps develop better kayaks. No such thing seems to be happening to C1 design, except to say that we can find some decent kayaks to convert.

P.S. I'm not complaining - I've learned to live with it.

SYOTRiver,

Bruce Farrenkopf