How does the Taureau stack up against other c1's?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

How does the Taureau stack up against other c1's?

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

So I paddle mainly c1 but am thinking about buying a taureau. I am just wondering how this boat stacks up against c1 creekers ie jefe, burn. I know the whole open cockpit is a huge difference but what is its performance like speed, stability, boof?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Louie probably has one you could borrow or check out...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It's not anywhere near as fast as a jefe, nor does it boof as easily (but what does boof as easily as a jefe?) so if you're coming from that background (i seem to remember you have a Grande?) then you'll need to adjust...

Given you'll need to adapt anyway (and coming from a jefe are already pretty good at balancing in boats), you might as well buy an open boat that looks like a canoe rather than one that: "looks like the business ends of two [ed: "adult toys"] stuck together with a cockpit in the middle"*.

*Not my description, but that of one of the guides i used to work with... it is, all in all unsettlingly accurate though :o
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

one of the big things is I want a higher kneeling position im sick of 3-5 inch saddles especially on easier stuff I'll def keep a c1 for some tough stuff but for just cruising down some easier creeks I can see something like the taureau being cool. I don't like dumping my boat all the time either.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

really slower than a jefe?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

depending on your height and weight... you might like a Prelude... might?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

xmas0c1c1k1 wrote:really slower than a jefe?
It's 6" shorter and 2" wider than a Jefe, and being flat bottomed, probably has a shorter waterline length too...

Buliding on what craig said as someone who has both a Prelude and a Jefe in their fleet, I'd say they were comparable, complimentary boats and I like both a lot... they feel kinda simmilar as both need you to drive them about, both move better if you make them follow a slight curve to a straight line and both can feel unstable if you just sit in the current twiddling your thumbs.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

just lookin at taureau cause of price unless another cheaper canoe comes up its taureau or a new c1 shell at the moment
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It's not going to be awful by any means, but I certainly wouldn't replace my C1 with one (though I wouldn't replace my C1 with an Open Boat period, so I'm biased really).

fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I fitted my Taureau to sit in it like in my C1 - lowered saddle, bulkhead, thigh straps, no foot braces. coming from a C1 you can get used to the Taureau very fast. It feels quick and zippy (not saying "fast"!), just small and nice. Maybe my pump helps also.
imagine
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

(STOMPER! :wink: ) with a 5 1/2- 6" saddle.
Larry
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Bigger cockpit than other c-1s. Plenty of room for my gut ! 8)
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Yea I will prob be getting a stomper soon too but the 90's are just starting to get pumped out and when you arent paying as much mney as a kayaker on a boat they don't care too much Im pretty diehard to liquidlogic's designs in the past Im sure I will get a stomper but not at the moment just kinda want to mess with something new see what its all about
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Why worry so about saddle height. the saddle in my Karnali L is 7.5" and it is quite stable feeling to me.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Larry Horne wrote:(STOMPER! :wink: ) with a 5 1/2- 6" saddle.
My recommendation is stay away from the Taureau, I had one set up as a C1 and expressed my dissatifaction with design, plastic, and rolling in other posts.

Like Larry, the Stomper is the boat that looks interesting to me as a C1, besides the Burn, Everest, Karnali or Villian. Besides the hull differences, the Stomper and Villian look to have more cockpit room and less of a dramatic change in the cockpit combing height from front to back.

If anyone converts a Stomper, please share.