KAZ and your "spark"

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

montana c-1
Pain Boater

KAZ and your "spark"

Post by montana c-1 »

John -
Thanks again for letting all of us paddle the spark at nationals. It sparked quite an interest in the boat. do you know what the availability of the spark will be , we have some folks here in Montana that want to see some in the light layup "mossy oak?"
any info will help otherwise I will call jaque at esquif thanks again for all your hard work at naionals
Sean
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hi Sean,
As far as I know, the SPARK will only be available in the lighter ABS layup with wood trim. Jacques would have all the info you need. If you put together an order for 8 or 10 SPARKS, purchased from me, I'll drive them out to you. That would give me a chance to get more Moose Drool!
JKaz
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

pictures?

Post by sbroam »

So, what does this SPARK look like? And any new word on that revolutionary new material that Esquif was to introduce - lighter than ABS and even tougher?
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

Thr material is Royalite ... I think some other manufacturers have been using it for awhile. But knowing Esquif I think thell probably do a nice job with it.
John- if you want more moose drool or slow elk "stout" we can ship it to you let me know. Plus I think its time we could come up to the east and taste some of your beer and paddle some tasty water.
Sean
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

only Royalite...

Post by sbroam »

I had gotten the impression it was a new material - Royalite has been around for quite a while. Isn't it just Royalex less the interior layer of vinyl? And you need to use a different adhesive for your D-rings? I seem to remember there being durability issues as well...
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hey,
There will be at least 1 SPARK available to paddle at the AWA Deerfield River Festival on July 31st. Please support this festival. Your entrance fee is tax deductible and goes for a good cause.
Thanks,
JKaz
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hey again,
Just for your information, the SPARK placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the OC-1 REC class at Slalom Nationals last week. I sent Adam a photo of the SPARK, and hopefully he will get a chance to post it soon.
JKaz
danab
C Boater

isn't spark royalite version of ignitor--made by esquif?

Post by danab »

Heard it was the little boat that could at the nationals and it was seen constantly going down the course.

So is it the royalite version of ignitor (directed to Kaz) and is it same length with the big cab-forward bow or modified.

Anybody out there tried the Rumba? and have a review. I know it was introduced here awhile ago but haven't heard anymore details.
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hi danab,
Yes the Spark is the plastic version of the composite Ignitor. It checks in slightly shorter, at 11' 8". It has the same lines as the Ignitor. The "cab forward" isn't as pronounced as in the Ignitor. Paddlers ranging in weight from 120 lbs to 210 lbs tried the boat and all enjoyed it. Top end in poundage might be 230.
The one Rumba I made is currently on a 3 month tour of western rivers. I'll get a report for you when it returns back home.
Thanks for your interest.
JKaz
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Courtesy of Kaz:

Keep the C!
Adam
Jim
C Guru

Spark

Post by Jim »

Wow- according to the results of the OC slalom championships (http://users.bestweb.net/~keech/oc-2004r.htm#oc1orec) the best time on the course was achieved in a Spark (Kaz's time in a race boat was faster by 5 seconds, but his run in the Spark was clean).

That is one appealing boat!

Now I am in trouble- my wife and I are supposed to work on our "budget" this weekend. In other words- we figure out where our money goes and she will be making sure it is not for a new boat. My urge for a new boat was bad before, but the Spark is a second boat I would really like to get. Too many choices!

Of course, one option is to sell some of my boats to have money for a new one. Nah, that is way too drastic a solution....

Jim
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Jim while this true, it's partly because of a lower water level on "race" day. If the water level was the same, I think the time spread would be greater. The Spark is a very fast boat though. I'm very happy with the way it came out. My hat goes off to Jacques at Esquif.
JKaz

Post by Guest »

Kaz can make a clawfoot cast-iron bathtub look like a fast boat. Others made it go fast as well so it must be good.