I feel the need for [bleeding off some] speed.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i just crash head on into a boulder. that stops me real fast and tightens my straps at the same time. :lol:
Larry
bcmcmillan
C Boater

Back sweep it

Post by bcmcmillan »

What I usually do (in small pools) is a huge onside back sweep to turn the boat sideways to kill speed. After getting sideways you have options of catching an eddy or doing a full 180 for a up stream ferry. Or if your on top of the next drop a large forward sweep to get you pointed back strait for the next drop, but the back sweep will usually give you at least a second to think of the thrashing that your about to take in the next rapid!!
Brad
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

phil hit it - initiate a back ferry - this is also good for when u get in a cluster of boats in mid rapid and you want to get some space
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Phil did indeed hit it, I'm not sure that a pure backferry would have worked but his other "not enough water" suggestions seem to be right on the money...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Phil did indeed hit it, I'm not sure that a pure backferry would have worked but his other "not enough water" suggestions seem to be right on the money...
... from years
  • :wink:
of being out of control and shallow.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

philcanoe wrote:
    TheKrikkitWars wrote:Phil did indeed hit it, I'm not sure that a pure backferry would have worked but his other "not enough water" suggestions seem to be right on the money...
    ... from years
    • :wink:
    of being out of control and shallow.
    I look forward to being able to use that line myself someday :D
    Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)