Possible interest building for canoeing?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: Possible interest building for canoeing?

Post by Mikey B »

Thanks Paul! I plan on taking full advantage of you guys again next year :D ...plus I think Big Al is going to really love MonkeyEye #2.

I just started this thread basically seeing all the things my kayaker buddies are always going to, and know I could always tag along...and have. I just noticed there really weren't canoeing equivalents of these. Upon further reflection, I believe most of their "clinics" are club related in some form or fashion. I know they have us on shear numbers so is probably why you see so many opportunities for them.
My biggest thing is I just need to hook up with Craig or Jeremy or someone that is a really good playboater to get some help with getting the potential out of the Blackfly! I have gotten some good help from some good kayaker friends on where to loop and where to cartwheel in the rodeo hole at the ER for example. That was huge help. Got some really nice help with great tips from Jeff Prycl for flatspinning better...but it would sure be easier I'm thinking having some pointers/corrections/help from actual openboaters to shorten my learning curve :) before I'm too old to pull off any cool moves.HA HA.
Anyhoo, I love how this thread took off for the western boaters...they could use some annual events for sure.
Mikey
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Since we have all these great trip ideas floating around, I would like to run the North Fork Umpqua (class 3), which is a beautiful river in south central Oregon with multiple runs, and maybe try to catch/scrape down the Smith River, which is just over the border into California near the coast. Best time would be around Memorial Day weekend. It would be like a week of rivers, not really a weekend armada-type thing. Maybe some day I will put a post up, see if I get some takers :D
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

PAC wrote:Now both WESTFEST and the Southern Cal posts are "Sticky" posts. Let us know if this needs changed. Note: The Southern event needs a tag name that matches the others in hip’ness!
just to set that record straight, we're all in northern ca.
.....and yes, it matters. :wink:

johnd. you prolly know, but the smith drainage is usually crawling with boaters from your club every thanksgiving and new years. I've been up there many times. lot's of fun.
Larry
hmatt

Post by hmatt »

The N. Umpqua is fun, that's where I met a lot of the Portland OC boaters. They have a weekend there about the 3rd weekend in Sep each year (30+ boats). Too far for me for the weekend, but turn it into a week of paddling (N. Umpqua, Smith, Rogue, or some of the northern Cal rivers) and I'll be there. Also, southern Oregon is about half way between Sacramento and Vancouver (8 hr drive each)....so good location for a west coast gathering.

We've also been having a PNW get together, piggy backing on Seattle's Spring Bash in mid May on the Snoqualmie - hopefully that happens again this year.

I like the Idaho plan for July, and will mark it on the calendar. A group of us did some exploring in N. Idaho this summer and I definitely want to go back. It would make it way easier paddling with folks who know the rivers. As someone else said though...July depends on what permits some lucky people may be fortunate to get.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

PAC wrote:
Now both WESTFEST and the Southern Cal posts are "Sticky" posts. Let us know if this needs changed. Note: The Southern event needs a tag name that matches the others in hip’ness!
just to set that record straight, we're all in northern ca.
.....and yes, it matters. :wink:
Larry "my bad" I was think'n southern as in south of Canada, Wash, and OR... but understand why it matters to folks. Give it a "name" (e.g.: "Not Southern Cali Cali event PAC") and we'll go with it. ;-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

The Umpqua get-together sounds interesting. I wouldn't mind getting in touch with some Portland-area open canoeists at some point. Maybe if someone wants to chime in with some contact info....

Thanks for Smith info, Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Oregon/Umpqua = Milkman, or the LCCC website. And check out Milkman's great videos.

Pat.

p.s. I'll change the title on C-California SoFo thread anytime you Cali boys suggest a name change, or add dates, whatever.