Drysuit Repairs...is it worth it?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hankrankin
C Guru

Drysuit Repairs...is it worth it?

Post by hankrankin »

So I have acquired an older Kokatat drysuit, the gaskets are in good shape but the seams need to be completely re-taped and the fabric is no longer waterproof and the rubber cap at the end of the relief zipper has come un-glued but not all the way off. I have researched and found Revivex spray on water repellant, anyone got experience with this stuff? What kind of tape and where can i get it, ive found something called melco tape? but cant find it for sale. im thinking i can aqua seal the part of the zipper that is coming up. any info would be greatly appreciated
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Drysuit Repairs...is it worth it?

Post by eddyhops »

Call Kokatat and get a quote for the repairs, if the gaskets don't need replacing it could be reasonable.
JD
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

is it goretex, or a coated fabric? if it's coated fabric and is delaminated it isn't worth anything. If you bought it new and it's goretex, then it would be covered under warranty and you'd get a new suit for free. only kokatat can say for sure.
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

If it's De-Laminated, then the worn pannels will need replacing, which isn't an easy DIY job (unless you're already experienced with sewing dry-kit), and revivex or similar DWR won't make it resistant to water ingress... it it's just leaking at the seams (which will cause it to fill with water like no tomorrow anyway) then you can tape it yourself using either heat tape, brown paper and a cool Iron or standard tape and Bostik 2042 2-part glue.

If the leaking patches of delammed panels are small you could seal them with aqusure or Bostik 2042 and a patch (my mountaineering trousers have a patch like that over a crampon-hole) and it will work well but you lose some flexibility and breathability wherever you patch it.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

If it's goretex, call or email Kokatat, get an RA#, put it in a box, and send it back to them. It'll be worth it.

If it's coated nylon...it's not worth it.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
BigNasty
c

Post by BigNasty »

Not to thread highjack but where would one get the tape? I have a MtnSurf "drier" top that the tape is coming off of and I'dd like to re-tape. Figuring sending it to Canada wouldn't be worth the effort....
With luv
Big Nasty
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Google Goretex seam tape. Most online places that sell technical fabrics also sell the seam tape. I've never actually order any though, so how easy or hard it is to use, I can't say.
hankrankin
C Guru

Post by hankrankin »

Thanks for all the input, it seems to be a nylon suit, not gore tex. i guess im outta luck. maybe thats why it was given to me for free
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

yeah nylon laminated suits do wear out faster. You can try to coat the inside with aquaseal, but it won't last long. i have a used gore-tex suit i'm going to sell as soon as i replace all the gaskets. then it will be in great shape.
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca