Mohawk Canoes new product: the Phein

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dale briggs footage

Mohawk Canoes new product: the Phein

Post by dale briggs footage »

https://picasaweb.google.com/1180775479 ... 3651665634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://picasaweb.google.com/1180775479 ... 3226732322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Guin wrote:It is the next generation of creek boats
Length at ‎9'4".

Edited by Mod: Removed double-post and moved other posts information here.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Mohawk Canoes new product: the Phein

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

MMMMMMM Beige...

I miss my beige PC.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

Word on the street is that although the Phiend has a striking resemblance to the Maxim there are significant differences between the two designs. The Phiend proto is 6" longer, wider, additional volume in the bow, and the chines are softer. These changes should make the new design more user friendly. Hopefully the incorporated changes have not detracted from the Maxims' positive attributes. The boat already has one major plus going for it. It appears that Mohawk is planning on blowmolded plastic rather than rotomolding PE. Good luck!
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

c'mon guys, is that all you can give, a length and 2 images???

You should be able to do better, no ???

I mean, it's a small market, and a new design is exiting news. Input into the community is promotion, tease us, please us. How is the design process going? You seem to be in prototype phase, far enough to tease us ;-).
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I chatted with Richard yesterday. The info I gave out was from that conversation. He has only been out in the boat a couple of times thus far. He has promised more pictures and video when he gets out this weekend.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Is it called Phein or Phiend?
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

I got in the boat. and it was goooooood
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

busterblue wrote:Is it called Phein or Phiend?
You beat me to it. I have seen it both ways...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

any ideas on he weight difference ratio between rotomoted PE and blow molded?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I just checked the spelling. Richard spelled it Phein when he chatted with me.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I am very excited that Mohawk is leaping into the new wave of canoe design. It would be great to have a stable creeker with the rails I miss from my Viper 11. Also, you just feel good supporting Mohawk when so many of us grew into the sport driving their classic designs.

For those of us who don't know any better, can someone enlighten us as to why blow molded is different/better than rotomolded pe?
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Todhunter wrote:
busterblue wrote:Is it called Phein or Phiend?
You beat me to it. I have seen it both ways...
2opnboat1 wrote:So this is the deal we are working very hard on getting a new design out The Phein, it is a longer wider version of the Maxim. It is a little longer and wider with different ends
Via Facetubebook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWOx4mki ... =autoshare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richard Guin
My finger tips are raw from sanding on the Phein plug. So close and yet so far away. I will lay a prototype this next weekend

Richard Guin
The Phiend is coming to life laying glass for the proto it will be way close to done before the TG holiday

Richard Guin
The Phein prototype is all laid up now I just need to put some outfitting in it and test it

Richard Guin
I got into the Phiend today It is the next generation of creek boats

Maybe the "d" is silent... like an apostrophe :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I will answer all the questions at one time or at least try The Official name is the Pheind (we like the d at the end for some reason) the boat will measure 27 inches at center at the gunnel. it is 2.25"s wider at the 4" water line. and 4 inches longer than the Maxim. The chins have been softened just a little and the ends have been reworked to give a little more volume (it is one inch wider at the bow and stern). It is also less banana shaped to help with rolling. I hope to have video up after this weekend. I love the Maxim and have taken what I like about it and not messed with but the few things I didn't like I have changed for the better I hope. The big advantage to blow molding is before the plastic its the mold it is fully melted. If the plastic is not melted all the way it wont form. With roto molding you pour solid plastic in the mold cavity heat it up and hope you get everything right. Blow molding is stronger and lighter. and you know everything is done right when you form it. as for as weight it will go somewhere around the 50 lbs mark. DOnt know what color yet prob orange Did I miss anything? if so pleas ask again
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Jakke sorry not more info we still have to pay the bills this is just one of a few projects we have going on and it is the one that I spend most of my free time on, when not working on this I am working on making all of our canoes better.
Richard Guin
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Craig is right the d is silent
Richard Guin