What do you expect...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bushpaddler
C Guru

What do you expect...

Post by bushpaddler »

...a good Airbag to be/have? Any special features? Which opinions do you have on weight, valves, eylets, ...

Cheers
Florian
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: What do you expect...

Post by Todhunter »

I have exclusively used Mohawk bags for my entire OC1 career (just over 2 years). Here are my opinions:

-Seams. The seams on the Mohawk bags are kind of weak at times. I have had many bags leak at the seams, particularly in corners.
-Dump valve. This is also a a weak spot in my opinion. The clear ones that come on Mohawk bags are stiff plastic, and they don't seal well. On two separate bags, I have had to shoe-goo the valve shut to stop it from leaking, making it where I can only inflate / deflate from the stem valve.
-Stem valve - no issues from the ones Mohawk uses.
Material. I'm torn on this. Mohawk's two layer material with vinyl inside and nylon outside is tough. However, many of the bags I have had start to delaminate. When delamination happens, often there are pin-holes that form as grit or other things get between the vinyl and nylon.

I'd like to see a nylon outer/vinyl inner bag that has the two layers bonded very well, more robust seams, and a dump valve like the pyrannha bags. The dump valves I am talking about have a screw cap and a one-way valve in them so that they don't leak down quickly while you are trying to put the cap on. I might even be willing to pay up to about $100 per bag if they were proven durable and the owner stood behind them.
Last edited by Todhunter on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

get a Pyranha canoe airbag and duplicate it exactly...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

What Craig said except add a tether for the screw cap.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Toddhunter

you are only the second erson to complain about our bags. They are all that I have used in 4 years and I still have my first set, they leak a little but that comes from Never taking them out of my boat. Hit me up your post interest me.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Richard - messaged you on FB.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

MOhawk bags have been great for me. The last set has been going for over 5 years. NO failures. I have left them in all the time. Do you have any purple ones Richard? I gave mine to Joshua when I traded boats.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

i've had the same problem with the mohawk bags delaming, and one has a slow leak, but the leak may be user error. i do like the bags tho.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

So far I like the Gaia ones that came in my Option the best. They hold air, don't weigh a ton... did I mention they hold air?

I've got some vinyl voyageur or harmony ones as well... one leaks from somewhere I can't pinpoint and they weigh a metric ton.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

I've got 8 year old Mohawk bags in my Probe-14. They now leak slowly but not enough to be a problem.
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

+1 to tnbound, no option but love the gaia bags no issues with them left in the boat....had NRS and they were tempermental some days they would leak some days they wouldnt.....never tried mohawk
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I ve got a beef with gaia's "lifetime guarantee"... I bought a pair and one got a couple of holes within a couple months of use . Don't ask me know, I was careful. I called the company and was informed that the warrantee only covers leaks from delimitation but not punctures. Truthfully, this is fair for a set of airbags... they re always going to be punctured at some point... but the airbags can't delaminate because they aren't laminated. It's deliberately misleading, if you ask me.

A couple of things that I do like about them is that the material stretches a little and they seem to fit the nooks and crannies in taureas, sflys, l'edges, etc really well. The other good thing is that, when they do get a hole the plastically material dries almost instantly and can be reliably patched with duct tape. They re relatively cheap too.
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

ian123 wrote:I ve got a beef with gaia's "lifetime guarantee"... I bought a pair and one got a couple of holes within a couple months of use . Don't ask me know, I was careful. I called the company and was informed that the warrantee only covers leaks from delimitation but not punctures. Truthfully, this is fair for a set of airbags... they re always going to be punctured at some point... but the airbags can't delaminate because they aren't laminated. It's deliberately misleading, if you ask me.

A couple of things that I do like about them is that the material stretches a little and they seem to fit the nooks and crannies in taureas, sflys, l'edges, etc really well. The other good thing is that, when they do get a hole the plastically material dries almost instantly and can be reliably patched with duct tape. They re relatively cheap too.
actually, airbags CAN delaminate- it happens at the seams, the glue sometimes doesn't hold. also, 2-layer bags, like mohawks, are notorious for having the top layer come apart. basically, what gaia is saying is that if the bag fails because of a weak spot, or the seams don't hold, they'll replace it- that's a VERY good warranty on an airbag. they just won't if it gets punctured.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

any1 know where i can find a brand new set of the old Voyager bags? .. still using the original set in the skeeter ... got patches on them but still cant beat them
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

SkeeterGuy86 wrote:any1 know where i can find a brand new set of the old Voyager bags? .. still using the original set in the skeeter ... got patches on them but still cant beat them

Aren't the Harmony bags the same thing with a different name now? You thinking of the silver/vinyl/extremely heavy weight ones?
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."