Reaching Canoeing Nirvana

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Rand C1
C Guru

Re: Reaching Canoeing Nirvana

Post by Rand C1 »

Cross bow is most important when you are eddied up on (what would be) the wrong side of the river and you need to upstream cross bow ferry out of the eddy. Otherwise you can only paddle(eddy) the one side of the river. Its a skill you need to get.
Rand
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

A strong offside is important,however i practice to never use it.No matter how good it is,it throws you off balance and isn't as strong as onside.There are fluid,momentum carrying correction strokes that i use instead.Certainly there's a need for the odd one here and there.I paddle shorter boats,mainly c-1 which is easier to stay on one side.

I find that running a tough drop continuously,especially if your gonna' swim.Run it 'till you don't feel the nervousness,when you own the drop,then find another and another.Then link them up,and run the easier stuff with tough moves which takes off the pressure and you can really focus on your strokes and feel the boat.I like to mix it up,but try running tougher stuff more often,graduating to it. :wink:

Catching eddies midstream,boofing off rocks and ledges,the ability to see the whole picture and not getting caught up in the moment.Losing sight of where you need to go and where you are can totally bugger you up.It's more mind game then ability.You can get away with more if you can focus more then being a class 4 boater without focus.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I like the pyramid as a model, maybe a bit exaggerated to put "Dooley" on top, even though he is doing some crazy well styled paddling. (No offence intended Dooley, I really like watching what you do, just don't like people being put on top with a semi "God" status. But I agree you probably belong quite close to t he top of that pyramid model)

But it's a model, and a transition is not just "having a strong cross forward" or "having a combat roll". For every step, you need more skills, more mental preparedness, more commitment, more experience, more and better of it all (except for the carnage).

The closer to the top of the pyramid you get, the more all those factors have to be in balance. Take a combat roll as example. In the pool you have to have the skill, and you know you're going to roll. on moving water it might come as a surprise, so you need a bit more mental preparedness. On whitewater you'll probably need more commitment, wait for the right timing, a second attempt, ... . And for rolling on the harder stuff, everything has to be in place, skill, prepared to roll, focus, commit into the roll, experience to wait for the right moment, ... .

but nice model, and good discussion starter!
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

one can never know it all, because this an ever-changing and evolving sport. Just try to know what is important to your discipline ; creeking, slalom, DR racing, freestyle (I've seen Eddy McG's video and He is good at it)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabnZ9-ex7o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

next up... where's Waldo? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

Wait...is "the Dooley" runnin the large steaming pile of dog doo? or the guy?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

is "the Dooley" runnin the large steaming pile of dog doo
Darn Art critics are everywhere! LOL Thought the same thing when I first read the original post... sorry Tommy! :wink: But good post!

Dan TPRCies are having a Loop Race Sat. after booth closure. Me thinks a long boat should do some smack down in it... might even show up my self then! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

hmmmm...PAC this race taken place tomorrow 4/21? tried to check TRPCs message board but couldnt get on. I b up for this, gimme some particulars.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

+++++++It's the April TRPC Intermediate Race+++++++
Racers and volunteers -- report to Ohiopyle's Ferncliff parking area to register for the race by 4 pm on Saturday. I will have two classes for the race -- short and long -- and will do mass starts for each 45 mins apart (approx. 4:45 and 5:30) so that people can do both if they want (I am!). If there are too many in a class to make a mass start safe, I'll split it up and send waves a couple minutes apart.

I haven't decided yet, but there may be a mandatory eddy or two somewhere along the course for the short class boaters to catch, just to make things a bit more interesting. If that's the case, I'll let you know *exactly* where it is before the race, and will even have somebody there to let you know where it is during the race.

I will need safety volunteers in boats or, if you're not comfortable paddling the loop but want to help out, on shore (life jacket, helmet, and rope are essential). I will need also at least two volunteers for timing.

The short boat cut-off will be 8' 11 7/8''. If you have a boat exactly that length, then take a knife and shave an 1/8" off your stern and enter the short class. Otherwise, you're in the long class.

If anybody other than Steve Kroser shows up with hand paddles, that'll be another class. (otherwise, Steve will have to be stuck with those who choose to use the advantages of a lever, the simplest machine known to man). If anybody shows up with an open boat, you'll be in a separate class. If anybody shows up with an OC-2, ditto.

++++++++++++++But wait, There's more!++++++++++++++
Anybody who wants to race on Saturday but doesn't know the loop well enough, I'll lead a group down at 3 pm (just after the booth closes). If anybody else is willing to lead a group, let's try to have another put on at 3:30 or so.

I even know the race lines!

Meet me at Ferncliff at 2:30 for this.

The water is low, so the rocks will be out, but the holes will be small and friendly.

+++++++++++++Fine Print+++++++++++++++++++++++
Racers *MUST* be TRPC members by the time the gun fires. We will have membership forms and the club pres, Seth Burdette, will be there to swear in new members.

Might be worth the price of admission! :-)

Not 100% I can make it... but I've found a ME and float bags....right now working on installing a "few" pumps in it... just in case... ;-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

What percent u think u can make it? I want to do this badly, but not too sure I want to join club to do it. Cant hurt i guess. I'll just have to keep it on the down low so's not to lose cred with my people. lol I'm sorta on the fence, let me know what u think, if u gonna go for sure.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Kid duty AM... will not know until later. I know some others OCs are planning on it. Come on.. it would be good for giggles.... my record on the loop is 10 min. like to see if I could cut that.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Come on Dan and Paul. What's this with the long boats? Unless I run a prospector the longest thing I've got here is a Stinkeye.

My only hope will be total long boat carnage. 8)

There are at least two oc's running tomorrow and it would be good if this was not a totally dark side event.

Hope to see you both.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

This might be relevant.

It's really geared at representing how people paddling with university canoe clubs actually learn; but I think it transfers to canoing pretty well too, as there are very few formally taught canoeists.

Importantly see section 8 to understand what we all should be aspirng towards ;)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

I can assure u that "animal" is really "guide" and that why what seperate the best from the rest is usually guide experience. Adrenaline rush is fine, but there is a component of uncertainty to it. guiding is more certainty focussed, not much room for adrenalin rush, when u workin.

Formal training for anything beyond the basics seem pointless to me. Time in the boat is what does it, and syllabi and such only succeed in applying a mindset to the river. When u really need to get a mindset FROM it.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Not going to make the race. :(
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator