OC1s: Rival vs. Outrage

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat

OC1s: Rival vs. Outrage

Post by yarnellboat »

Can anyone compare the Dagger Rival to the MR Outrage? They seem somewhat similar, what are the differences in performance?

Thanks, Pat.
Scott C
Pain Boater

outrage vs rival

Post by Scott C »

They are verry similar. The outrage feels narower and is not as forgiving. You may find it is not as dry either. But it shoud be a more playfull boat. :)

My opinion

Scott
Alan

Post by Alan »

I paddle an Ocoee and a Millbrook Defiant but have spent some time in both the Outrage and the Rival. Since I don't own either one my opinion is not biased ( I don't think...). I agree with what you have heard. They are very similar. It would be a tough decision between the two. The Outrage probably turns easier and it is narrower for better cross strokes. The buyer's guide from C & K says it is a pound lighter. Sounds like I may favor the Outrage... I just don't know. This post was no help but thought I would second that they are very similar. After all that, why not an Ocoee ( used or new from Bell, whenever they get it in gear). A great boat! Also look at the Rumba from Millbrook. Don't be afraid of the kevlar. A boat under 30 pounds is a pleasure to paddle and carry. Kaz's boats are well built and and the price is comparable to any new plastic whitewater canoe.
Good luck
angela

outrage vs. rival

Post by angela »

My 2 cents:

I recently puchased an Outrage after trying both boats. I'd actually paddled the Rival twice, on class 2 rivers, while I'd only been in the Outrage briefly (love at first paddle :) ). Both are great but to me the Outrage seems more nimble, maybe because it feels smaller. I don't feel like I'm paddling a barge, as I do with most open boats.

Angie
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

....check out the Spark from Esquif... Kaz design, fairly light, and from what I've heard a fast boat...

craig
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

My first thought when I saw a picture of a Spark was that it looked like an Outrage, but I'm shopping used.

These posts confirm my suspicions that the Outrage feels smaller, lighter and more nimble to turn (and is possibly wetter). At the time of it's design, the Rival was a very playful boat, but now I hear it described as a barge. How can 2 boats with such similar specs feel that different?

Maybe I'll just bag-out the Outrage more or add a splash deck on the bow.

P.
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

I'll bet the Outrage X even paddles "smaller, lighter and more nimble" than the Rival? But perhaps the X and the Rival are more similar.

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

outrage x

Post by billcanoes »

I used to own an outrage x- It was a great starter boat and would be great on big water. However, it was a barge- it was super stable but probably a key of my lack of ability was I didn't think it eddied quickly, or possibly crisply would be a better word. The Rival I paddled was quicker than the Outrage X, but I have not compared it to an Outrage.

Bill
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Bill, In your experience, did the Rival turn more crisply than the Outrage X? Which was more responsive and more fun to paddle?

Pat.

Post by Guest »

I own an outrage, and have paddled a Rival. In my opinion, the outrage is as fast, turns sharper and without the totally round hull of the Rival, it feels more solid and surfs a little better. It's narrow, which gives a small female like me a better reach with offside strokes. I do not find the Outrage to be wet. Am I biased? probably a little but I had the option to buy a used Rival for cheaper than the retail Outrage and went with the Outrage.
Cheers
Gail
yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

Hi Gail,

No, you're not biased, you're a small female!

I'd think you should definately be in a narrow Outrage compared to a Rival. I, however, weigh 200lbs, so maybe I make the Outrage a wet ride. Apparently the Outrage X is for paddlers over 180 or 190 - but I don't get these wieght spec, because I see lots very large men in smaller OCs.

Does the Rival have a rounder hull than the Outrage? I thought maybe the Outrage was designed to be more foregiving and the Rival had harder edges? Maybe I was wrong on that.

Do people agree that the Outrage generally out-turns and out-surfs the Rival?

P.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

rival

Post by billcanoes »

I'm 193, so I'm about your weight. The Rival was more fun and more agile than the Outrage X. MY Outrage X was pretty wide, (list it at 25.5, but when I measure from the outside gunwales it was more like 28 , but I had vinyl gunwales, which I heard made the boat different than the ash gunwales boat. ) so it was very dry, but I would currently choose a Rival over an Outrage X, unless I was always going to paddle in rivers with 3-4' waves. The Outrage X in its favor, I thought surfed very well (as long as carving wasn't involved), but I put over 50 trips in it, as opposed to my brief 2-3 times borrowing a Rival.

Summary, my OX was soft chined, wide and fairly flat bottom so it (at least my ability to use it) slid into eddies, and after paddling some narrower boats, seemed like it was pushing water instead of gliding. I would love to try a narrower version, or wish I had pulled the boat in.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

c-atle

Post by billcanoes »

yarnellboat

Post by yarnellboat »

And thus my questions. Shhh!

P.
Scott C
Pain Boater

rival vs outradge

Post by Scott C »

If this it Gail from Ottawa she would not weigh 200 with all her camping gear!!! :lol: As for the outrage vs the x I think you might find the x a little slugish as they only added a chunk to the midshp to give it more boyancy. At 240 I was at the top weight for the rival but I found it a little to forgiving. If you are looking for all out profrmance do not look at either boat :o .

Scott