Kokatat Meridian - question of the size

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Myszoor
c

Kokatat Meridian - question of the size

Post by Myszoor »

Does this drysuit in a size "L" will be a good buy for someone with dimensions:

Chest - 38' (ca. 96cm)
Waist - 32' (ca. 82cm)
Hips - 37' (ca. 93cm)
Height - 6"1' (185 cm)
Weight - 143lbs (65kg)

I know I'm pretty skinny and with the exception of height in this size I have a spare space for insulation layer. But precisely because of the height should not be interested to buy "XL" size?

In Poland I do not have a chance to try any Drysuit before buying :\\ and any suggestions are welcome :)
jakke
CBoats Addict

Re: Kokatat Meridian - question of the size

Post by jakke »

I think I've got an XL with 1.83m, L was a bit tight bending forward.

If we would manage to go for a paddle together, you could try on mine, but Poland is kind of -out of the way-, unfortunately.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I was right on the border between two sizes of another make of dry suit and purchased the smaller - I had to send it back and get the larger. I don't think you would regret getting having extra room in a suit, but too little would be a bad thing... Dry suits don't stretch...
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I notice the Kokatat sizing chart says size large works up to 6'2". I find them pretty good on sizing. I'm 5'11" and 165 pounds and have a large and it's definitely loose on me in both girth and length. I've lent my extra drysuit, a Kokatat large, to people as tall as 6'1" and they've been able to wear it fine. So I guess I'd advise buying a large.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

At 6'2" and 190 lbs, the L fit but it was a little difficult to get on. I seem to remember having difficulty getting my shoulders through the chest zip. I bought an XL. It's a little big on me.
Myszoor
c

Post by Myszoor »

jakke wrote:I think I've got an XL with 1.83m, L was a bit tight bending forward.
I'm afraid of something like this. From what you are writing a risk really exists.
jakke wrote:If we would manage to go for a paddle together, you could try on mine, but Poland is kind of -out of the way-, unfortunately.
Jan - thanks, but I would like to buy a suit _before_ I go on a river in the Alps :)
sbroam wrote:I was right on the border between two sizes of another make of dry suit and purchased the smaller - I had to send it back and get the larger. I don't think you would regret getting having extra room in a suit, but too little would be a bad thing... Dry suits don't stretch...
My problem is that, in size XL in the middle of the drysuit will be place for two people like me : )
I fear with this large extra space inside drysuit.
milkman wrote:I notice the Kokatat sizing chart says size large works up to 6'2". I find them pretty good on sizing. I'm 5'11" and 165 pounds and have a large and it's definitely loose on me in both girth and length. I've lent my extra drysuit, a Kokatat large, to people as tall as 6'1" and they've been able to wear it fine. So I guess I'd advise buying a large.
I have 59 hours to make a decision...
ian123 wrote:At 6'2" and 190 lbs, the L fit but it was a little difficult to get on. I seem to remember having difficulty getting my shoulders through the chest zip.
during the paddling movements of the arms was limited?

BTW
In Palm sizing guide is no difference in height between size L and XL. So other manufacturer not solve my problem.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I can't remember. Sorry.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I would go XL. You can cinch in the waist and once you burp it it will form itself around you.

Too tight and you loose mobility and may be limited in your layering for colder weather.

One other point, if you are ordeing one with drysocks, what size are your feet? I ask because I can't wear a standard kokatat large because my feet are too big (ok, I'm too big in other areas also).
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

DO NOT get an XL. I am 6' 3" and 190 pounds and have that suit in XL.
My daughter, who is 5'11" and 170 pounds has a L. I would steal it from her if I could... it fits me fine without all the extra material. My XL is even a little too big with major layering. Your height with a L will not be an issue.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Why not call the folks at Kokatat...they are very helpful and would be knowledgeable about correct sizing :D
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Some thing to consider, is the feet size on a L suit, I know that an XL expedition suit, as size 10 socks.... and I'm size 13... So had to special order my suit!!
Good luck
David
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

You CAN order custom sizing from Kokatat. They are excellent to deal with and the cost of custom sizing is actually really reasonable.
Myszoor
c

Post by Myszoor »

ian123 wrote:I can't remember. Sorry.
NP :)
arhdc wrote:I would go XL. You can cinch in the waist and once you burp it it will form itself around you.

Too tight and you loose mobility and may be limited in your layering for colder weather.
So far always as measured the climbing jacket in a size greater than L, that I look at them like in big "sack for potatoes" :\\
arhdc wrote:One other point, if you are ordeing one with drysocks, what size are your feet? I ask because I can't wear a standard kokatat large because my feet are too big (ok, I'm too big in other areas also).
1. This is not a order, I bid on eBay :)
2. I have a standard feet (11-11.5 US) and this issue does not matter, because the socks for size L and XL are the same. But thanks for your attention :)
Alan B wrote:DO NOT get an XL. I am 6' 3" and 190 pounds and have that suit in XL.
My daughter, who is 5'11" and 170 pounds has a L. I would steal it from her if I could... it fits me fine without all the extra material. My XL is even a little too big with major layering. Your height with a L will not be an issue.
another vote for this to take the risk :) thanks :)
Mikey B wrote:Why not call the folks at Kokatat...they are very helpful and would be knowledgeable about correct sizing :D
1. because my English is pretty weak to speak freely (I know him rather passively) :|
2. discussion sometimes leads to some interesting reflections :]
canotrouge wrote:Some thing to consider, is the feet size on a L suit, I know that an XL expedition suit, as size 10 socks.... and I'm size 13... So had to special order my suit!!
ufffff :) fortunately it's not my problem ;)
Smurfwarrior wrote:You CAN order custom sizing from Kokatat. They are excellent to deal with and the cost of custom sizing is actually really reasonable.
Do you know? I think that buing new drysuit is just not a good idea for someone beginner. why?

First, the cost - beginners should learn on the equipment that will allow him to find out what you really need in the future. If I hit well with purchase - it is my happiness. If I do not hit - it's a bad purchase I will give less money. Less pain :)

I now know that a year or two selling my Probe. New purchases will be in large part based on personal experiences / thoughts. Exactly the same I had with my first traditional canoe - the second has very little in common with the first - life on rivers revised my assumptions :)

Yes. I know that the Meridian is a "top shelf", but ... Second - in the price of a new drysuit I have (if I win this auction) used drysuit + new PFD, good new helmet and new paddle : )

--

Thanks all for comments. I will risk this purchase, but reduce my maximum price. If the drysuit size will OK, I'll get lucky. If I do not "hit" with this purchase, will I lose on it a little less selling it. And simultaneously I will have my own thoughts

... and the wife did not throw me out of the house: D
Myszoor
c

Post by Myszoor »

Suit finally came to me. A few days ago I had the opportunity to test it, both on the water and under the water :) Everything is ok, nowhere is too short.

Thanks for the votes for to take a chance this purchase :)
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Nice one, welcome to the club of drysuit paddlers. And very good that it fits you as well.

Now you can join next years armada ;-)