Singing the paddling blues

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Carol
C Guru

Singing the paddling blues

Post by Carol »

One year ago this month I was having fun on the Klamath River, Ferry Point Run. On the first drop, put out a low brace (properly executed), and said "oh s**" I did something. After having my superaspinuatus tendon repaired in December, I was told "no paddling this summer!"

Just came back from the Klamath River. Sat in an oar frame raft, looking very cute thank you very much, on the Happy Camp Run, as my sweetie paddled our tandem with somebody else in the bow. We both decided that he would be able to get the canoe down the Ferry Point run with me in the bow, minus paddle. I've never had so much fun!

Now for the rest of the blues

so what happens if one of your bow line knot fails as you're driving down the road You end up with a bent boat, a big dent in your fender, and don't forget the bent Tule crossbar.
I'll be so glad when this year is over!
jatakasawa
C Guru

Re: Singing the paddling blues

Post by jatakasawa »

Carol,

Sometimes we all have a run of crappy luck. Keep your chin up and keep paddlin'! When you're all healed up and on a good run net year (or this winter) and smilin' and stylin', you'll feel like the bad luck was a silly blip on the map.

In January 2010, I crashed my pickup, destroyed my Mad River ME and fractured four vertebrae in my neck and back....now I'm stylin' the Upper Yough and other, similarly challenging runs...but when I sat in a chair in my bedroom for four months, I had no idea how my life would be after the neck brace came off. Early in the recovery stage I decided that I WOULD PADDLE AGAIN...and it kind of became my motivation to heal up and take vitamins and forget about 'giving up' and letting my injury run my future. Your shoulder will heal, your car can be repaired and the boat can probably be salvaged. Keep your chin up and try to stay positive. Let us know when you're ack on the water!
Chester the Brace Monkey.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

ok, I thought I had posted a pic of damaged boat, it was there in "preview", but seems to have wondered off into cyper land . . . . .
i'll try again
carol

https://picasaweb.google.com/1039536341 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

If that's a Dagger Dimension, that truly is sad ... good reminder not to get casual about tying boats on racks.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

It is, hoping we'll be able to "pop" 'her back out. Thinking boards on both sides and something to slowly expand back to shape.

Any thoughts?

C
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Slow application of heat and pressure will do the job on the Royalex. But I'd take the gunwale off first. Wood gunwales are fun. If you don't want to make your own, you can find them here-- http://www.edscanoe.com/14kndogusy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rivercowboy
C Boater

Post by rivercowboy »

Warm water. Set it in the Sun with water in it. Of course this will take some time for nature to take it's course.
Look at me talking. 7 months out of a total hip replacement myself and just up to Class II in the Open Boat.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

IMGP7667b.jpg
IMGP7669ab.jpg
thanks Neil!

C
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

<><

8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

What damage? Straighten the gunnel and get on with it!
rivercowboy
C Boater

Post by rivercowboy »

That aint' nothing. You should have seen my Blue Hole before I straightened it out. Had to cut the Gunnels off. Then let is sit in the yard full of water for a few weeks, put new Gunnels on it, still a river runner. Not bad for a first generation OCA either!

Straighten the Gunnels and put it back on the water!
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN