New to C1 playboating - a few questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

New to C1 playboating - a few questions

Post by leclercraven »

I've recently bought a used C1 playboat, a Liquidlogic V56. I wanted something to do park'n play and be more compatible with my yak buddy. I've tried it only once in mild R2. Very different than a OC1, different but fun! I'll still use my OC1 for river running, but for playing, I don't think you can beat a C1! Anyway, I have a few questions for the 'pros' out there...

1. (I'm still figuring out how to properly paddle this small thing. I flip a lot, but at least I can easily roll the boat every time. It seem that paddling it from the front or way in the back works good...) What is the best way to paddle a small boat like this ? How do you ferry on your off-side, do you switch sides, cross-abeam, small J strokes.....?

2. (I'm 5'11", 190 lbs, boat is 6'...) The paddle I use right now is 54". It feels too long, I think I could do kicker strokes if my paddle was shorter.
I was thinking taking 2" of my paddle, down to 52". Should I do this or should I just get used to 54" ? If I reduce the length of my paddle, will that affect my roll?
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: New to C1 playboating - a few questions

Post by Todhunter »

I am by no means a C1 expert, as I just got my first one (it's a creeker, not a play boat) and have only been in it in the pool twice, and on the river once. But that being said, I tried using my 58" paddle that I use in my OC1, and it was just too long. On the river I borrowed my buddy's spare paddle - a 54" werner bandit and I really liked it. I am 5'10" too. I definitely think for C1 a paddle that is 2" - 4" shorter than your OC1 paddle is a good idea.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

leclercraven wrote:How do you ferry on your off-side?

Don't.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

leclercraven wrote:I wanted something to do park'n play and be more compatible with my yak buddy. I'll still use my OC1 for river running, but for playing, I don't think you can beat a C1! . . . I flip a lot, but at least I can easily roll the boat every time. . .
THANKS for getting this thread started, leclerchaven. "You're not alone," as we say in the counselling field.

I'm wit ya in looking forward to seeing your questions answered.

FWIW, I spent 3 great days at WESTFEST, in southern Idaho, this summer, but while most of the gang were running rivers, a couple of us, who are new C-1ers, and new playboaters, hung out at Kelly's WW Playpark. What a great facility, what a great experience, and what a great way to begin learning some key skills.

What we lacked was competent instruction. If there's an instructor out there who is ready to help some newbs at WESTFEST next July, please respond! There's a group who will kick in some fees and expense $$.

This summer, I got to try a Blackfly and a Kaos -- both great hulls, but yes, I agree that a decked C-1 is preferable as a playboat (at least at the start) -- no need to bail or pump, and easier to roll.

Keep talking, folks!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I'm in the same" boat".Outfitting a Project x and can't wait for her maiden voyage. I have played,well taken plenty of beatings,on the Kananaskis but there isn't ever an OC playboater let alone a c-1'er.It's pretty difficult to really progress without assistance or even a little feedback.IThere's some pretty good stuff online and it's helpful,just take the laptop and camera to the river :wink: 'll be practicing some moves in preparation for the Westfest rodeo :-?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...