Helmets for hot weather?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JFC
C Boater

Helmets for hot weather?

Post by JFC »

Hi folks, first time caller here, from Central Texas.

I've been looking around for a helmet lately. One thing that I've noticed is that when heat is mentioned, the emphasis is on heat retention to help avoid hypothermia. Apart from a couple of months in winter, we really don't have much of a problem with that. Temperatures usually run at or above 100 in the summer, and the rivers are all very much pool and drop with a lot of flatwater between the rapids. I could be wrong, but canoeing seems to be a hotter and dryer activity around here than it is in other regions.

I'd like to find a helmet that I can wear through the summer without increasing the risk of heat stroke. I'd could carry another hat for flatwater and trade out, but it seems like the best helmet is the one that you keep on your head. Any suggestions for a helmet that at least doesn't trap heat as badly as others?
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: Helmets for hot weather?

Post by arhdc »

Personally I have never been able to stay dry enough for this to be a major issue on the water and my non-vented helmet actually doubles as a nice water scoop to dump water on myself when I get too hot.

You might look at the Gath Helmets, they are very low profile and you can get them with vent holes, they look like they would be cool though I can't personally attest to this.

Just my $0.02
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

WRSI helmets (all but trident) are available with or without vents.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If there are long stretches of flat water, I will often swap the helmet for a hat...
Alan

Post by Alan »

I like the ventilation in my hockey helmet better than any other helmet I've had. Plus it's well padded and adjustable--and designed to cushion sharp blows. You never know when a stray stick might come atcha across the water!

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/helmets-ccm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

A lacrosse (Cascade) helmet works well too. With or without the mask. Usually you can find them at second hand stores and they have not taken a full on boating type beating. But like a hockey version you have to swap out a chin strap. The nice thing on the LAX helmet is that the same company makes white water helmets.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

i like my composite helmet with no vents. staying warm is harder than cooling off.
can always cool off with a roll.
can also fill the helmet with water and dump it over my (friends) head.
also good for extinguishing campfires.
Larry
OC One Blade
C Guru

Post by OC One Blade »

Here's a link to the Cascade whitewater helmets Paul mentioned.

http://www.hardheadedsports.com/detail/ ... ter+Helmet

13 BIG drainage holes. Looks well ventilated and inexpensive- not sure how good it would be as far as quality goes. If you opted for the "full ear" model it looks like they have the attachments (chin bar or facemask) to make an inexpensive full face helmet as well.
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

I use a full coverage Predator in the summer simply because it is well vented. In colder weather a Predator baseball style is very warm.
Bill
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

Thanks folks! Sorry for the late reply. I'll check around and see what's available and fits. I may pass on the lacrosse and hockey helmets. Someone would probably have to throw one across a few state lines as well as across the water for it to get here!