Mohawk Maxim and other small OC's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Li'l D
C Boater

Mohawk Maxim and other small OC's

Post by Li'l D »

Thanks for all the info. I am mostly paddling
class III and I am working on catching more difficult eddies, harder ferries, surfing and trying to learn to roll. I am also paddling a converted to C1 Inazone 220. I am interested in an open boat not a Quake or that type of boat. I think the Occoe is to big like the Rival it is hard for a shorter person to reach over the gunwales and when I sat in the Prelude my knees didn't even reach the bulkhead. It is no wonder open canoeing is becoming extinct. There are kayaks of all kinds for children and smaller women but if they want to paddle an open canoe they are not going to find a true fit.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

...ok let me get "this" straight... for future reference.

Small OC x-150lbs
Medium OC 150-200lbs
Large OC 200lbs-beyond

Great Primary & Secondary stability, Good speed, spins on a dime, surfs like a seal, is durable as a masterlock, rolls like a carp, is dry and can handle water inside and remain stable..... gotcha!

What are "we" willing to pay for such a craft?

Craig
Outfitted and UN-outfitted?
TommyC1
C Guru

Boat vs outfitting

Post by TommyC1 »

Lil'D
Your comment about the Prelude was re outfitting vs the Rival etc being too big. You, like the rest of us, most likely will need to modify the outfitting to suit in any boat.
Were I you I'd look for a hull that's likely to suit you and plan on refitting it to your needs.

G'luck,
Tommy
Li'l D
C Boater

Small OC's

Post by Li'l D »

I had the opportunity to spend a whole day paddling a Zoom on Class III water. I found it very stable and easy to paddle. I wonder why they say it's for expert paddlers only.
I am wondering what exactly does squirrely mean? Can anyone define this term?
ohc1
C Boater

Post by ohc1 »

You're right, "squirrely" is a pretty subjective description for how a boat feels. As for me, a boat is "squirrely" when it (1) has little primary stability (i.e. tippy!) and (2) is really loose (i.e. turns easily), which often means more responsiveness and maneuverability but perhaps more difficulty in getting the boat to go straight. But, it really depends on who you're asking, and what kind of boat they're used to. For example, if you're used to something like an Ovation/Probe/Prophet, then getting into a Rodeo/Phantom/Zoom is probably going to feel pretty dang "squirrely". But compared to some converted 'yak spud boats I've tried out, my Rodeo feels like an aircraft carrier! Of course it also depends on paddling style, experience, and paddler weight. I think that as playboats continue to get shorter and shorter, the hulls that may have once been thought of as "squirrely" are starting to look pretty solid. -K