Pacific Northwest Gatherings

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Tamihi Five-0 Open Canoe Slalom

Post by yarnellboat »

Thought I'd bump this up as reminder that there's an open canoe slalom race starting up near Vancouver this weekend - Sept 13-14 at Tamihi Rapid on the Chilliwack River.

PY.
semdoug
Pain Boater

Post by semdoug »

Looks like a fun race. Can you point me toward some directions to the race location. I have not had much luck finding driving directions on the race website or otherwise. I'll be coming up from Washington through the Sumas border crossing.

Thanks
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Great! It'll be good to have some additional boats to the local club members.

I'll update some camping & schedule info on the website.

Here a link that might help get you to Tamihi bridge/campsite:

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dck/Recreation ... HI%20CREEK

Google Map "Vedder Crossing" and then head 10-15km upriver to the next bridge. You'll see the gates from the bridge, and the activity will be right there.

Some out-of-towners will camp on Friday night a few 100 metres downstream of the bridge, on the river-left side. Otherwise, people will be arriving Sat around 10am for a practice day, races on Sunday.

Expect low water, beginners/intermediates, open canoes only. There's about a dozen boats in men's solo and mixed tandem, which are the biggest races as of now.

Hope to see you! Pat.
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I'd be into an ALF type event where we can get a group of open boaters,c-1's together for a few days of paddling.Personaly i'm not into the racing scene however a good ol' paddle week with some like minded folks would be a hoot.Whether it's in B.C,Washington,Oregon or even Alberta would be a gas.The venues are endless.It's a great idea.I know i could organize one for Alberta,not sure if the interest is there to come here,but it's an option.We have,within a three hour drive at least 20 rivers and creeks from class 2 to 4/5 .The end of May they really start pumping.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

After some minor efforts to hook up with other clubs and c-boats folks while a few of us from Vancouver were going down to paddle a few days in WA, Heather (who's paddled with Milkman) & I did manage meet up with Kyle (Wiggins) and his shiny new Mohawk, for his 2nd day on the river as an open-boater.

Too bad no others and nobody from the Seattle Paddle Trails club could join us. I hope those recently looking for open canoes in WA have been able to find some, catch ya next time.

If you're in the area, you couldn't go wrong with a run of the "Middle Middle" on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/vanc.yarnel ... Easter2010#

Pat.

p.s. Milkman, I should get some quick & dirty tips from you on how to edit a few of these little avi clips into one video!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Cool-looking run and what a scenic peak in the background. That run is still on my list of to-do's.

Video editing tips ...

Tip #1: Get a camera that takes better video. (Your pictures are great, but the video isn't very good quality.)

Tip #2: Buy CyperLink PowerDirector. It's an excellent video editing program if you're using a PC. I think it's just $99.

Tip #3: Run PowerDirector on a powerful, newer PC. Video editing programs are notorious for crashing. They need fast processors (multi-core is best) with lots of RAM. They run best on computers that haven't had a lot of software installed--particularly other video editing programs.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks Milkman, I'll look into it. The video isn't that bad, it's just bad as uploaded to the Picasa site, not sure why. I should post it to YouTube and see how it looks, but I figured that's only worth doing if I could edit a few clips together - that's really all I want to do: crop videos and put a few together.

Middle Middle is very worthwhile to have on a to-do list, and so is Skykomish. Scenery on both is spectular.

Pat.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Pat,

A video editing program I used for a while that was good and inexpensive is AVS Video Editor. I seem to remember it was $39, but this site makes it look like its free.

Check out: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Editor.aspx
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Google owns Picasa and YouTube - my videos loaded to YouTube look a lot better than those loaded to Picasa... If they would only link YouTube videos to Picasa galleries...
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thanks, Pat, for your work to bring us north-westerners together.

Here's another event for the calendar:

It's the Un-Likely Paddlefest , held annually on the 3rd weekend in September (this year -- Sept. 17 - 19).

Where? Beautiful downtown Likely, BC -- about an hour north-east of Williams Lake (which is about 7 hours north of Vancouver, our nearest suburb.)

The event features 3 separate trips on 2 local rivers: 1. The lower Quesnel (Class III - IV), 2. the Upper Caribou (Class III - IV), and 3. the Lower Caribou (Class II - III).

Plus optional Monday trips on the Chilko.

Sad to say, the event features mostly butt-boaters. Time to show them some single-stick solidarity. Y'all are invited. PM me for details.

BTW, Pat -- having paddled in CR wit da Beavers, we will plan to meet you at Rivers Week.

Will keep y'all posted when The Wave sets up on the Horsefly.
C'est l'aviron. . . !