Did I get a deal?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

terrierpike
c

Post by terrierpike »

Thanks for all the replies, and for the record... yes, I am happy with the deal, and happy with the boat after taking it out a few times. You guys are right, having a boat is much better than the alternative :D
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Ben Franklin
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Yeah, my Ovation was my first or second boat and I have never gotten rid of it. I still take it out a few times a year. The good thing about the boat is it does not demand your attention alot of the time as it is not as edgy as the other boats I have.

It is definitely alot of fun to play with and surfs probably better than all the others. Only drawback is it is a little slower and works you a little harder on attainments than some of the other boats. Eventhough it does not get used much anymore, I have not thought of getting rid of mine...Have fun
SYOTR
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I still hang on to my Ovation as well. I rarely paddle it, saving it mainly for those rare times when I can get my college-going son to come out with me or, more frequently, to introduce someone to the sport. I was recently teaching a class where one of the students was using it and I hopped into it to demonstrate something and was surprised at how fast the "Slow-vation" could actually move. Of course I'm comparing it to Phantoms and Preludes, but still. It's certainly faster than a Nitro.

I was exchanging emails with one of the folks at Mad River and he told me they actually have the Ovation mold. Whether they'll ever make it, I don't know. I do think it was a good beginner-intermediate design and an excellent boat to learn surfing with.

If you have the video Drill Time: Solo Playboating II, put it on and look at what boat is often being used to demonstrate various strokes. It's an Ovation. I know Bob Foote isn't that proud of the design (he helped design the boat), but for a while there it was the hot playboat. Definitely dated now and certainly not edgy enough for advanced paddlers, but still a worthwhile design.