Me Canoeing Lower Keeney

Post all your CBoat and OCBoat related videos here!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

kabuki_blaze wrote:I think I saw this run Live? :wink:
Yeah, it was great paddling with you! (This is Fritz right?) I had a blast. I think Dan and I might be running the Gauley this Sunday if you wanna join in
SamS
C Boater

Re: What level was NRG that day?

Post by SamS »

mr ray wrote:
Wendy wrote:nt
Minus 1.6' I think I heard someone say? Wendy, you'd love it at this level. As a SE paddler it seemed like plenty of water. As Kevin stated, it was WAY more water than what people routinely find acceptable on Chatooga Section IV during the summer.

Sam and Fritz, enjoyed boating with you guys this weekend!
I had a great time boating with you as well!
Also... I've boated this section about five times (I think) and I must say around this level is my favorite. It's probably a bit easier, but more technical and you don't fill up with water as much, which is always nice
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

SamS wrote:
Yeah, it was great paddling with you! (This is Fritz right?) I had a blast. I think Dan and I might be running the Gauley this Sunday if you wanna join in
Yep, this is Fritz, but don't tell anyone :wink:

Likewise, good to find more canoer's in the area. I am working on Sunday, Dan mentioned it as well, I would LOVE to come, but have to see if I can work it out with the family..I will let you guys know, you will love the LG, we had a blast on Sunday.
SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

french erick wrote:All the discussion makes me worried...not unduly, but some.
There's a HUGE amount that I don't understand under the water and about levels. My assumption was that the more water the more dangerous it would get...never thought about the other way round and features reappearing with lots of nastiness.

So there's only one thing for it...get a bombproof roll and minimise swims by staying in my lude :-? . Read the water well and hit those lines reet boyo!

(PS: I do apologise for my earlier post...it was riddled with typos. I usually check but!)
Well, the only dangers that higher water adds is pushiness and, on bigger rivers, a higher risk of flush drowning. So, if the undercuts and other nasty features remain at higher flows, than it is more dangerous because the water is pushier. However, in this case, at lower flows a big undercut is right in the middle of the river , and at higher flows is covered up, making it much more dangerous at lower flows.
SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

kabuki_blaze wrote:
SamS wrote:
Yep, this is Fritz, but don't tell anyone :wink:

Likewise, good to find more canoer's in the area. I am working on Sunday, Dan mentioned it as well, I would LOVE to come, but have to see if I can work it out with the family..I will let you guys know, you will love the LG, we had a blast on Sunday.
Ok, sounds good! I'm glad you guys had a blast on Sunday, I'm really looking forward to the river. Any rapids to watch out for? (I've read about all the rapids and watched videos, so I know where the particularly dangerous spots are, but I haven't heard much difficultywise- from personal experience about the river)
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

I am sure you have watched this video: http://www.gauleyriverrapids.com/

I think he does a good job of summing up the rapids in a very conservative manner, goes on the line of safety. I always suggest the flume line (right of center) at Koontz, even though that puts you near the giant undercut, but it seems so out of play to me, but maybe I am a fool. I would scout Lower Mash, just so you can see the line and take note of the undercut rock at the bottom. It will be a lot bigger water than the New at the level we did it the other day, just be prepared and paddle hard through stuff and you will be great. You have good boat control, just stay upright and you will be just fine. I don't find the river exceptionally tough, just big, lines are straight forward...Good luck if I don't see you...
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

Well at -1.6' both LK and Double z skill wise are like 3, 3+ but with the consequences factored in I gave both a solid 4 rating! At higher water levels like say 4 ft LK is a solid 4+ and double z is reaching class 5 ish. At that level double z has a huge wave hole that back flipped my buddy in a 8 foot creeker and nearly sent him into table hole which just looks nasty! The sides are all undercut and sieved out as well. The New is a bigger river then the Gauley period! At higher water on the New it gets very pushy! I have not run the lower gauley in a few years and just ran the Upper G once this year, with that said the New has a lot more compression waves, and wave holes that appear out of no where then the Gauley did. Either way do your research, boat with people who you know, know your skills and the river.
SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

kabuki_blaze wrote:I am sure you have watched this video: http://www.gauleyriverrapids.com/

I think he does a good job of summing up the rapids in a very conservative manner, goes on the line of safety. I always suggest the flume line (right of center) at Koontz, even though that puts you near the giant undercut, but it seems so out of play to me, but maybe I am a fool. I would scout Lower Mash, just so you can see the line and take note of the undercut rock at the bottom. It will be a lot bigger water than the New at the level we did it the other day, just be prepared and paddle hard through stuff and you will be great. You have good boat control, just stay upright and you will be just fine. I don't find the river exceptionally tough, just big, lines are straight forward...Good luck if I don't see you...
Ok, thanks! I have seen that, and I always thought that Lower Mash looked the scariest.
SamS
C Boater

Post by SamS »

dgmonster wrote:Well at -1.6' both LK and Double z skill wise are like 3, 3+ but with the consequences factored in I gave both a solid 4 rating! At higher water levels like say 4 ft LK is a solid 4+ and double z is reaching class 5 ish. At that level double z has a huge wave hole that back flipped my buddy in a 8 foot creeker and nearly sent him into table hole which just looks nasty! The sides are all undercut and sieved out as well. The New is a bigger river then the Gauley period! At higher water on the New it gets very pushy! I have not run the lower gauley in a few years and just ran the Upper G once this year, with that said the New has a lot more compression waves, and wave holes that appear out of no where then the Gauley did. Either way do your research, boat with people who you know, know your skills and the river.
Thanks for your input! The highest I've boated the New was at about 2.5, and at that level I took a really nasty swim when I got flipped in the Upper Keeney eddy line and almost ended up in the Meatgrinder
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

Yup a swim in upper keeney can and will suck at that level! Until this last year 2.5 wsa the the highest I had paddled it! Let me tell you that extra foot or so of water makes it really, really much harder, but I was in a play boat both time :) Ether way I forgot to say you looked good and in control in your vid!
yuanyelss

Post by yuanyelss »

I went down something that the guide book give at 4. A one move wonder type place that I really think don't warrant that or else there's 4 and 4? It was medium flow and very cool and fun.

cheap cartier trinity ring
cartier earrings price,cartier pen refill