Spare paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

I carry them in both my canoe and kayaks. I have given them out a few times, and needed them myself once when I was starting out.

They are one of those things you don't need and is a pain in the butt until you need it!

Kyle
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Mos Def... a breakdown Mitchell.

After having used and carried cheap inferior spares, I have insured (so far) not having to use one this year - by purchasing a really good one. As for Louie he doesn't buy boats either.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I'm with most of you-- I carry a full size spare in my oc and a break down in my C1.

I have lent my blade to kayakers.

I think Rand C1 is right, it's something single blade paddlers do--bring spare paddles.

For securing a full size paddle, see Northwater's (thwart) paddle anchor/strap (it keeps your space paddle secure but within reach).
http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... nchor.html

See Build your own break-a-part paddle--an article that I wrote for Kanawa about how to fit a long stick into a short boat.
http://www.lssd.ca/~bjohnston/FOV1-0003 ... lugin=Loft
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mattr
c

Post by mattr »

I have a 3 piece aquabound edge whose permanent home is bungeed to the stern pillar of my creek boat.
One day, after a difficult hike out of a canyon, I called an aquabound dealer and had them order the paddle for me.....
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Rule of thoumb I've learn is if you have one "usually" you don't need it.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA300_.jpg
Drill a couple holes in the blade and binner it into place.
Its not bomber but it works in a pinch if you're in survial mode and even fits the blackfly! It can be purchased a Walmart and even kayakers appreciate that you have it when they needed! No lip when you have the stick! :wink:

Or pick up river salvage and fab one up.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

...are you kidding! :lol: I just spewed my beer!
maybe for class two... but for anything harder i would feel safer just using my hands :wink:
c'mon pac. help us out of this recession and spring for a real paddle :)
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

No, he's serious. I've seen it - while it does telescope it is, uh, "diminutive". Props to PAC if he can paddle with it, but for me it's about as useful as a soup spoon :lol:

I bought the smallest Mohawk 2 part kayak paddle (for the kids, honest) and two "t grip adapters" - presto 2 small take down (sort of) paddles that fit in the Remix or SF.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Larry glad ya got a chukle! :)
I agree if its serious stuff I take a real paddle (paddling a bigger boat). But on the dinky stuff (where I usually break stuff) it works!
As you know "it" happens and I have used that "joke" on III-IVs (...although it sux). It does beat using one's hands. Having it beats not having it.
Oh and Scotts right on - you have to keep it in perspective... it it looks like paddlig with it will equate to a beatdown its time for a walk-down!
A man's got to know his limits. :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!