Holding your line in heavier water?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote:... and in big water "Hey diddle diddle... right down the middle!!!" doesn't usually work...
Yes - that's certainly :) got some (real) merit.

But often in really BIG water being off to the side is the worst place to be. For that's where the reactionary waves, swirly's -n- suckie's, worst pour overs, and down trees tend to live.

While the more uni-formally structured, predictable, and desirable place is more out in the current. I often like about a third off to one side or the other, as it allows for more freedom and range of motion. I like to couple this with staying to the inside of the bend, meaning a 1/3 off the bank on the inside of the turn. This allows you to go for the eddy, which often forms on that side. And also allows you to utilize/harness some of the waters power to help flush you to the other side.... if that becomes more advantageous. Generally the water is moving faster and piling up on the outside of a turn, so if you kneel a bit higher and see the inside is bad (or the outside is a-ok) then it's easier to go with the flow, than it's to fight back to the inside (against the slingshot-ing current). Of course on a really wide river, you must have some good self rescue skills (of course).

Little Billy (William) Neely used to comment and draw pictures of something called a FLW. Usually in big exaggerated fashion, and with an pointing arrow. That's a really important one to learn from. If a wave looks funky, out of place, or missing or irregular in an otherwise regular wave train watch out - and go away fast. A funny little wave is one thing he called it, you might call it something else if unnoticed. A wave is a release of energy, and if they are not in a regular interval - something is causing that energy to fluctuate. Which might not be bad, but until accounted for watch out. In big water a regular interval wave train is very often my targeted track. Such a line of 10-15 foot waves is a great thing... just don't zone out, and forget to look for a horizon line (even a partial one).

Must say - this is one thread that I've enjoyed everyone's feedback.
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    Kelly-Rand
    CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

This is a great topic because I am familiar with it also. For many years I have run it at various levels without a swim. I paddle an Atom and except for the very first time I paddled this river that is the only boat I've used.
    When I first ran this rapid I ran a zig zag course, first left then right, I would hit all the holes but I also caught good eddies on either side that slowed my travel and allowed me to pick my lines. I usually paddled at the lower level that Tommy is used to. As my confidence built I began to run this rapid at higher levels and more often with a dead center drive down the middle. The higher level runs, 6" higher than what Tommy described, are actually easier for me because the holes disappear and it is just one long big wave train. I'm used to using the wave crests to make minor corrections and I've been known to run over other boaters to maintain my charc, the angle I want to approach the next wave.
    So three weeks ago I had one bad swim and one better, and this at the lower level that most open boaters prefer. Part of my downfall was complacency, I expected to get pushed by the current further to the right and instead drifted to the left into the path of some pour overs causing me to flip and roll and bang into another pour over and flip that I was not able to recover from. The following day I ran this again at the same lower level and again drifted further left than I am used to, but recovered some what to drive more right. This drive to the right though put me at the wrong angle to take the narrow gap at the bottom hole which turned me around and I lost control from there and swam.
    So if I could come back again, I think I would do the zig zag route again at this level and the level Tommy paddled it.
    There is a lot that can be gained from paddling the same rapid, just not in successive days. It takes some time for reflection to put things in order and I think Tommy's adventure helped me evaluate how I would run freight train under the various water levels I have experienced.
    Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
    a C-1 I will stand"