Introducing the Esquif L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote:Update... I just returned from Quebec and we made some slight changes to the design to address a few things we learned from the prototypes.

L'edge (L'version 2.0) is looking fantastico' :D
wahap'ended to version 1.x?

usually it's version.dot for minor changes? and version numbers for major revisions or releases.... what changed?????
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:usually it's version.dot for minor changes? and version numbers for major revisions or releases.... what changed?????
I'm using Windows 1.8 still :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

And L'edge is that a size designation...

like those Jackson series, with one for everyone ?

-or-

maybe it's a 50gallon (liter) edge ?

-or-

is that really "The Edge" in Français (the French word4).....

WWFT (what would Frankie think?)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

WWFT? I like it. Maybe a new motto for ALF. Hhhmmmmm maybe not what with the head to head racing and the mines bigger'n yours mind set that seems to be developing.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:is that really "The Edge" in Français (the French word4).....
You tell me... http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/29/le-or ... nt-decide/

Initially it was just "Ledge" fwiw and "L'edge" is basically made up.
philcanoe wrote:WWFT (what would Frankie think?)
I wish we could know.
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

will never happen...

... I was suppose to go head to head last year with Louie (boat dumping)... and we were hardly ever on the same river, or (if on same river) in the same group. No one really wants to compete, then the cajoling and feather ruffling would end!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:will never happen...

... I was suppose to go head to head last year with Louie (boat dumping)... and we were hardly ever on the same river, or (if on same river) in the same group. No one really wants to compete, then the cajoling and feather ruffling would end!
Don't you mean L'ouie? :lol:

o.k. that's enough threadjacking now
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

ok

meanwhile back at the ranch....
Craig Smerda wrote:
philcanoe wrote:is that really "The Edge" in Français (the French word4).....
You tell me... http://www.gadling.com/2008/02/29/le-or ... nt-decide/

Initially it was just "Ledge" fwiw and "L'edge" is basically made up.
philcanoe wrote:WWFT (what would Frankie think?)
I wish we could know.
ok, how's this...

http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab= ... edge%0D%0A

(sorry you'll have to cut-n-paste the whole line by hand)
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

so will it be sold in French Canadia as L'Edge and in English Canada and the US as The Edge?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:so will it be sold in French Canadia as L'Edge and in English Canada and the US as The Edge?
uh... no :roll:
Louie

Post by Louie »

Don't belive it, it is all talk. it is boatin first, racein means first one to safety break and Frankie would have won.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Craig Smerda wrote:
Mr.DeadLegs wrote:so will it be sold in French Canadia as L'Edge and in English Canada and the US as The Edge?
uh... no :roll:

Well you know, with some it's a morals thing, why do it yourself...

... when you can simply beg, borrow, or steal it for free???

There's a whole lot of Frankie channeling going on in the whole thread, and the one thing I know (4Sure) is his exact phrase when seeing this boat..... "Oh man, that's all cobbed up". He used that term frequently, especially when he saw others butcher and imitate. He did outfitting and people copied. He made helmets and people copied. He made boats and people copied. And to date all have been inferior, because there was no asceticism in design, it was with functionality as well as taste, coupled with refinement. His was a Craftsman's attention to detail, and you earn, develop, or are born with that - and not by association or grabbing onto another mans shirt tail. The very first thing that came to mind when seeing the L'edger, was Frankie wouldn't be happy with his name on that. And yes the history of boat design has been to take what's been before, and make better. That's usually in the opening chapter, of most any literature on naval architecture.

(here I go... and remember I do like you, and still consider you a friend)

Sorry - but I've bit my tongue too long, and the refusal (again) to at least stand-up and admit stealing the Edge name was/is too much. It's simply from the opening two paragraphs, you have unabashedly used his good name over and over. Stand up like a man, on your own two feet - and say this is what I'm offering. ..I'm Craig, and I made a boat... Craig not Frankie, and there's nothing wrong with that. And then one day, I'll be glad to say... Oh yeah, I know that guy! He built(s) one h'helll-of-a-boat.

It's not that I think your boats sucks, just really hate the marketing. For I'll remove the name from mine...

Phil Foti

PS. God rest Kaz's soul, when he's gone too...
Louie

Post by Louie »

Gee Phil what are you the Frankie memorial keeper? I don't he would give a sugar cookie what the new boat was called, as long as someone was makin new boats. I think it is better to copy his design and give him credit for it than copy them and not give him credit.

What do you mean we were never on the same river, we did little clear creek,a nd then Tellico the time you swum so many times 4 I think it was.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Craig Smerda wrote:We can only emulate and learn... there will only ever be one Frankie Hubbard.
I can only hope he would have approved... and I'll leave it at that.
kanur
C Guru

Post by kanur »

Craig,

I feel your intensions were nothing but honorable! You have built a boat and from the start have credited Frankie for his designs.

No one can say for sure what Frankie would have thought about it. But at least you are carrying on his design (which no one else is) .

Thanks from many for what you are doing,

Dennis Jones
Dennis

"Just Cause I Don't Run My Mouth Don't Mean I Got Nothing To Say" Mike Cooley DBT