Hull Shape for Rival / Impulse / Genesis

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Gryphon
c

Hull Shape for Rival / Impulse / Genesis

Post by Gryphon »

Are the hulls on the Rival, Impulse, and Genesis generally the same shape? Do they vary primarily in length, or are there some other major differences?

I believe that these three boats have softer chines. They are all described as beginner boats, or boats developed before "hard chines" were more generally accepted for their advantages in playboating.

Any general comparisons of these three and their capabilities would be greatly appreciated. (I'm reading trip summaries and articles showing the Rival and Genesis used commonly as cruisers, and by folks in the Forest Service.)

Thanks.
DB

Post by DB »

The hull shape of the Rival and Genesis are very similar with the Rival being 1' 4" shorter and 1.5" narrower. Both were designed by Bob Foote and have full bows and a slight vee with vertical sides in the stern (the vee is more pronounced in the Genesis), as well as asymetrical rocker. Being much larger, the Genesis is a more forgiving boat than the Rival, but the Rival is more nimble. Some find the stern of the Rival a bit grabby due to the vertical sides (not usually an issue if you're used to a harder chined boat).

The Impulse is an older design than either the Genesis or Rival and is much less agile than either (actually kind of a tub IMHO).

For more info:
http://www.dagger.com/product.asp?link=CWWdiscontinued
yarnellboat

agreed

Post by yarnellboat »

Among the people I paddle with, the Rival is a respected, nimble open boat; the Genesis a classic cruiser and a good surfer for larger paddelrs, and the Impulse servicable, but an entry level tub.

I've heard the market/design of Esquif's Vertige X is for a forgiving boat, filling the gap of Dagger's Impulse.

P.