Is the Drakkar Fatboy still coming?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Is the Drakkar Fatboy still coming?

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Marko,
I love my Wheelboy :D . I can really tell the difference in functioning between a boat designed and built to be a C1 and a kayak conversion. The balance is so superb in the Wheelboy.
This Spring and early Summer has seen the best warm water creeking that I have ever seen in New England in my 20 years of C1-ing. I would really have enjoyed having a great plastic creek boat in the quiver. Is the Fatboy still coming? Or should I think about a conversion before I get too old :( ? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Jack
C1-er
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

based on my experience on waiting for the wheelboy to become available...you should go ahead and convert something..if you do any creeking at all, you will wear out or break two or three creekers before you ever see a drakkar creeker.
Larry
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jack,

It was great meeting you at the Deerfield last weekend.
I hear you about the Fatboy...wauiting myself.
In the meantime, instead of converting, give the Finkenmeister a try. Great boat in its own right, once properly outfitted with thigh straps and all.

There is even one in your area that you might be able to have a look at, Don Williams has one that he outfitted with a Dagger console.
Don lives, as far as I remember, somewhere in New England as well and he is a member of this website, you could PM him.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

FB

Post by PAC »

Larry...positive vibes here please! LOL
Jack I feel your pain... I've been sitting on purchasing a creeker too waiting for the FB.

Marko we know you are working on it in your spare time but we are interested!

In the mean time Martin try to bring the Fink with you if you do come to the Falls Race! I'd love to try it out there! There is one at a local shop but I'm not sure they would let me take it out based on some history and its a virgin! :wink:
PS: I'll be gentle to yours! :)

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

PAC, yes, the Finkenmeister will definitely see action at the Ohiopyle falls race!

So what's the story behind the local shop being reluctant to let you take out the Finkenmeister...

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

hey, i'm just being realistic... why wait? it's just plain SILLY to wait for a boat that's nowhere near production. you've got some good options available right now. sure, try a finky, but don't rule out conversions.. some of them work REALLY WELL! personally, i think a kayak makes a much safer creeker than a c1 because the c1 cockpits are too small. anyways, life is short, get a boat you like to paddle NOW! conversion.. finky.. whatever.. as long as it works for you. it's only a hunk of plastic man, use it and sell it when (if) the fatboy comes out. :D
Larry
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Fink and stuff

Post by PAC »

Hey Larry.. not a problem! 8) I just like the Drakkar design.
I'm looking at a Fink and some conversions (H3, M3, Burn, etc.) but nothing strkes me as what I really want - not that I know what that really is. :cry:
Besides I'm not getting much time for creeking right now so I can afford to wait. But I agree with you the conversion scene provides lots of options!
As for the history Martin.. I paddled a bit with the shop owner and he knows my style (sloppy at best) and history as to other boats (mostly glass). So with it "virgin" Fink I was surprised he even let me sit in it a few weeks back in the yard! LOL
C you soon! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

Man Larry, I completely agree with you. There is some excellent conversions
and the Finki is a great boat as well. No need to wait, you can always sell later.

Cheers, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Pawel
c

Post by Pawel »

Hello Gentlemen,

To cut a long story short:

WE ARE WORKING ON A CREEKER!!!!!!!

We are :roll: and :P and :-? and 8) and even :D or sometimes :( and from time to time :o

If all goes well, you'll see our little beast early next year. Meanwhile we have launched a new project in cooperation with DNA Canoeing from Ireland/UK. New helmets are available, more to come. Ask Bill Reap for details or send me an email.

Yours,
Pawel Szydlowski-Drakkar Kayaks
Pawel
c

Post by Pawel »

btw: you can see helmets at: http://www.dnacanoeing.com/dna/helmets.html . New drakkar page is going to be live in no time. Meanwhile check the above link for updates on a creeking boat!
Pawel Szydlowski-Drakkar Kayaks
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

That is great news from Pawel :lol: . I remain happy with the Fink...especially after making some improvements in the outfitting. But I can tell you... Larry's Horne's Pyranha Burn looks sweet - I was thinking of giving it a try. Now I'll wait a little longer for the Fatboy. In the meantime - consider a Wheelboy for a play C1, it is a terrific boat and we need to encourage Drakkar to make REAL C1's instead of hopeing that a manufacturer will make a kayak once in a while that can be converted to a good C1 (ie: Pyranha's Burn).
SYOTR,
Bruce
P.S. Larry, I understand you have a story to tell about the 'hades's Kitchen' section of the NF Stanislaus :wink: .
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Finkenmeister and the Fatboy

Post by Berkshire Jack »

Hey Martin,
It was great meeting you on the Deerfield the other week. Finally putting a face to the person behind the posts on this board. I do know Don Williams and I had heard he had a Fink. Will give him a call, when I find his new (to me) phone #, and see if I can give it a spin on the Deerfield.
But like Paul, I like the Drakkar designs, and the Fink will have to really wow me to get me to purchase one. I am encouraged by Pawel's promise to get the Fatboys into production by next spring. I will probably still have some life left in the shoulders, elbows, and wrists to have some fun on the creeks next year. I am looking into the Echo paddles with the wood shafts as you suggested, as a way to forestall elbow problems.
take care,
Jack
C1-er