OC2 Saddle placement

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

OC2 Saddle placement

Post by TNbound »

I need some input for saddle placement in a Genesis I am turning to OC2.

What is the normal distance between paddlers in an OC2? Anyone have a Blast/Probe 14 they could measure?

The boat used to have a kneeling thwart in it. I was thinking of using that as a center point for positioning the saddles, and maybe sliding them an inch or two aft to keep the bow up/dry. Sound good?

The boat may also get some new/additional wider thwarts, but that is probably another thread.

Thanks all
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
bambam
C Guru

Re: OC2 Saddle placement

Post by bambam »

I'm not familiar with the Genesis but a quick search says it's thirteen feet long, similar to our Blast. With two saddles you won't have much room left over to work with. As the photo suggests our saddles are as close together as they can be. (And yes, I purchased the rights to the photo but the disc hasn't arrived yet.)

I did some geeky physics calculations when setting ours up and got lucky. A better approach would be to fit the saddles loosely, head to a pond, and have someone look at the loaded boat from the side.

Depending on what sort of water you plan to paddle, bow up might not be so good. We're probably a little stern-heavy. If we pause and let the current catch up with us then the stern gets yanked around and I have a heckuva time keeping us on track.

Consider how you will bag out the boat as well. You probably won't have room for a center bag, another reason to hug the saddles together. Closer proximity also makes it easier to read the bowperson's mind. ;-)

OC-2 is a big hoot for me. Find fun!

Ken Dubel
Attachments
LK tandem air crop.jpg
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

We are 83cm apart in the Blast. 5 cm less are still ok.

Center bag is possible but needs kind of a bra to be held in place

Center bag is not necessary anymore since we outfitted our boat like this:
http://www.cboats.net/cforum3/viewtopic ... ilit=blast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flo

-------------------
7 days to go to the Grand Canyon...
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

bambam wrote: Closer proximity also makes it easier to read the bowperson's mind. ;-)

Ken Dubel
The downside is it also puts you within range of the swift backhand on those off days :lol: ...
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

For the Octane, I think i figured out that about 26" is about as close together as you can go.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Yep, no Problem in the Octane with that Outfitting. Sometimes a small hit on Life west or helmet but that's normal is it gets busy...
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acc
C Boater

Post by acc »

I have the same question as original post, but for a different canoe; a Dagger Caption. Anyone that may have outfitted one or similar canoe, I would appreciate input. Mine came w/kneeling thwarts & I had asked about quick release set ups; got some good responses. But after paddling a little, getting a severe wrenching of one leg stuck under thwart during an attempted swim, & wanting to do some more serious than class II, I think saddles are my next step. Along same subject, if anyone has a couple used saddles they want to get rid of,let me know what you would want for them. I am not sure I would feel comfortable buying a block & cutting myself. Thanks
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I've installed Mohawk triple saddles (sans their straps and hardware) in our Mad River Synergy and in our Millbrook Big Boy. Based on my experience, I just want to put in a word of caution.

If the hull design is symmetrical, then seat placement is more predictable. I would still suggest considering one of those systems where separate seats (not a triple saddle) can be moved independently. Partners do change, both in weight and in sex and identity. :o

Both of our canoes are significantly asymmetrical. The Synergy is very swedeform, with a narrower, slightly V'd bow and a wider, flatter, cocked up stern. Mad River's suggestions for seat placement did not work. For solo use, I have my seat a bit cab forward, and this gives good speed, though I need to lean back to unload the bow at times. I needed to move the stern seat maybe 6 inches back from Mad River's suggestion because even though I'm 70 pounds heavier than my wife, the original placement was causing the boat to be too down at the bow. When I moved my seat back, the boat was much more cooperative.

The Millbrook is actually fishform for solo use, but likes to have the solo seat placement farther back than one would expect. For occasional tandem use, it gets turned around so that it is swedeform. Haven't tried it yet. The designer says they tried and it didn't work, but I wouldn't risk a composite boat for tandem use. We'll only paddle it tandem on easy waters when we're traveling around the country.

So my message is, study what sort of hull you're outfitting, its symmetry and shape. Based on the few Genesis canoes I've seen, I think seat spacing will need to be fairly close together so that the ends don't plunge too badly in waves and holes.
acc
C Boater

Post by acc »

Thanks EZWATER. I like the idea of being able to move the seats around. Bear w/me as I am not as into this as most of you so some terms such as "fishform" & "swedeform" are not familiar to me. I do know the Caption is asymmetrical. If you can suggest an outfit/company that makes outfitting that is
movable, I will definitely look into. I had a friend who had a Caption that was totally outfitted w/velcro if I recall, allowing moving the seats, knee pads etc very easily.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

I own an old Caper outfitted for OC-2 and have been in a Caption outfitted for OC-2. Both are fine boats. We found the Caption to be more nimble but egads did it ship water amidships while surfing.

Both the Caper and Caption I've been involved with are outfitted with the saddles close enough to pretty much preclude the use of a center bag. Pluses and minuses. Being near the center of the boat, the wide part, we lean in opposite directions to reach the water so I, in the stern, can see more than the back of her helmet. Better than, say, in the Blast which is narrower. On the other hand the Caper and Caption are longer so I don't have as much leverage on the stern. Sweeps are not as effective. I'd like to try either boat with the saddles spread apart to accommodate, say, a two-foot center bag some day.

My short answer is, heck yes, if you can make everything adjustable until you figure it out then go for it.

Ken
acc
C Boater

Post by acc »

Thanks Ken for your input.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

acc wrote:Thanks Ken for your input.
Yer welcome. Send us pics and a story re how it worked out.

Cheers!