CBoats.net - C1 B1!
Check out
C-Forum Discussion of all things WhiteWater Canoe related
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: OC-1 with seat
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:42 pm 

Due to distance and time I make one or two "whitewater" trips a year and my progression of paddling skill has been slow. By whitewater, I'm talking about the Mulberry, Big Piney and Upper Buffalo in Arkansas. Some years back I finally made the jump to a Mohawk Probe 12II. I enjoyed the way the boat handled for my skill level but in the last few years it became very uncomfortable to paddle. Last year I had to exit the boat every 20-30 minutes to straighten out. Recently I decided to sell the Mohawk but I would still like to paddle class II stuff.

I expect this topic has been addressed before and I apologize if this is repetition but I would like some advice on hanging a seat in a larger whitewater boat. I mostly paddle a Bell Wildfire royalex and kneel about half the time but I'm able to sit and stretch out in the quieter sections. I did the Boxley section of the Buffalo this spring and the Bell lacked maneuverability and was a wet ride. I envision rigging something like how Wenonah set up their Rendezvous with a canted seat, knee cups and straps. I had a composite Rendezvous and did not like the way it handled plus it's almost 16 feet long.

The Vertige X has been suggested but with a 33 inch beam, it may be a bit wide. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: OC-1 with seat
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:11 am 
CBoats Addict

I bet you could get comfy if you raised your saddle height and tweaked the rest of your outfitting

Post subject: Re: OC-1 with seat
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:46 am 
CBoats Addict

The Vertige, no x, might also be an option. It's easy to install a regular canoe seat hanging from the gunwales, and knee cups, straps, etc…That would work well in CII.

Of course there are other possible boats:
caper
genesis
H2 pro
piranha
probe 14
xl series such as XL 14 or 15