CBoats.net - C1 B1!
No Flash
Check out
C-Forum Discussion of all things WhiteWater Canoe related
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:10 am 
Paddling Benefactor

The Probe would be a great beginner boat for you, especially at that price. Put in a double pump set up for CO waters and you won't slow down your kayak buddies since you won't be stopping as frequently to dump.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 am 
C Boater

I talked with the seller and one of my river buddies. I'm going to pick them both up. We both kayak and raft. His son is a bad butt class v kayaker(runs the embudo, obj, and crazy stuff). He wants one too. He is the same size as me 6'1" 220# or so. Are we too heavy for these boats?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 am 
C Boater

I picked up both boats. Paid 300 for the mohawk. Paid a 12 pack of Odell's 90 shilling for the ovation since it cold cracked and the guy didn't want to attempt it. Guess I need to search repair now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm 
CBoats Addict

Agree that the Probe will be a good beginner boat. Come out to the Colorado Kanu Fest in BV this July and you can try the new plastic designs and see if any will be good for you. At your size and weight, there are a ton of options.

As to fixing the Ovation, if it's not too far gone, look up the "ABS slurry" method. I think there's an article on here. Basically, Lego-plastic is the best, and you can make a slurry that'll patch up cracks. But once ABS gets too much UV damage, it's going to be tough to keep it from breaking.

I've been known to canoe at times