CBoats.net - C1 B1!
Check out
C-Forum Discussion of all things WhiteWater Canoe related
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:02 pm 
c

Hi folks. Helping a friend who's not computer literate sell her 20 year old Old Town Pathfinder. Could anyone please advise what she should ask for it? It's very lightly used and hasn't been in the water for about 5 years.

Many thanks!

Denis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:21 pm 
c

Based on advice/guidance from this site, I posted this canoe (see below) for $500. A prospective buyer asked if it's made of made of polyethylene or Royalex? Being a newbie and a novice, I have no idea and neither does the owner. Any suggestions concerning how I might determine that?

TIA

retiredva wrote:
Hi folks. Helping a friend who's not computer literate sell her 20 year old Old Town Pathfinder. Could anyone please advise what she should ask for it? It's very lightly used and hasn't been in the water for about 5 years.

Many thanks!

Denis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 am 
c

The Pathfinder has a Royalex hull.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:33 am 
C Guru

There should be a number on a metal plate, or stamped into the plastic. Call Old Town and see if they can tell you.

Or if you can post photos here someone may be able to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 pm 
C Guru

Had a couple Pathfinders in the school fleet, to my knowledge, all Pathfinders were Royalex. To my imperfect recollection, Old Town didn't really do cross-material models. Mad River did Explorers in a whole quiver full of different materials but Old Town used different molds and materials even if they were producing two very similar models. The Pathfinder was Royalex, its Old Town poly equivalent (not the same hull, but not far off) was the Discovery 147. The Camper was their 16 foot royalex boat, its poly cousin was the Discovery 158, likewise the 17'2"royalex Tripper shared some DNA with the Discovery 169. 500 bucks for a good-condition Pathfinder seems pretty standard to me, your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 pm 
C Guru

Old Town used the name "Oltonar" for Royalex for a while, in the early days of Royalex.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:09 pm 
c

Thanks very much to all for your guidance and advice!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm 
c

I have additional information on my canoe and am wondering whether it's important in my effort to sell it. I'm told the serial number on the hull means it was manufactured in 1980 and, stamped next to the serial number, is the word "second." I'm guessing that means it is not quite perfect so Old Town sold it as a second. Also, it was originally used as a sailing canoe and I have the original sail, but not the mast. Is any of this meaningful?
Again, many thanks!