Pumps?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

xtraheat
C Boater

Pumps?

Post by xtraheat »

How well do pumps work? I have always assumed that they were only for flatwater and mild rapids, but it seems like you all have them outfitted. I've paddled big water like the New Gorge, Upper G, and the lower 5 of the NF of the Payette without too much trouble, but if I don't play the rapids right, I often fill up completely, which has caused many unnecessary swims. Do they work well?
xtraheat
C Boater

Post by xtraheat »

I re-read that and saw that it was somewhat confusing. My question is: are pumps worthwile in big water? Thanks!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

A caveat - I'm not an open boater. But my experience paddling with folks with pumps (even 2) is yes, they do work well. You'll still need good technique, but its far easier than having to pull off and dump...or if you are not able to continue getting more water in.

Check out James and Phil's post around holes in boats... (Nevaful) - depending on what you paddle, and if you have an old boat to try it on, might be interesting...
Keep the C!
Adam
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

sure are... roll first , then i flip the switch :P
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I really like mine. I haven't paddled big water before, but it works good on what I paddle in the South East.
oc ender
C Guru

pumps

Post by oc ender »

it's the only way to fly.when on continuous class 3-4,and you start fillin',hit the switch and keep paddlin'!!
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
old
Pain Boater

Post by old »

I read where some think it does not make you paddle as hard, or smart, or that it makes you lazy in learning to get better (learning to run dry lines). I don't need a d@m thing making it any harder! I need all the help I can get! I like em!
Hey Tim, What rapid is this?
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

All Pumped out

Post by horizongfx »

My Pump Makes me lazy.
It make hit waves head on and take on water.
It makes me miss LOOKing for the "Dry Lines".
It makes me Miss looking for a rock to get out on to empty my boat in the middle of a rapid.
It makes me miss picking my boat up more than Twice on a river trip.
It makes Me miss dumping between each ender.
It makes me miss dumping after every combat roll.

I have missed a lot in life But dumping water out of my boat ain't one of um !!!!
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

I embrace the chance to get out of my boat and dump, just because my feet will stay fit longer and wont hurt as much. Once I move up to technically challenging and pushy water, I would rather go Nevafull than pump. Like the low-tech of it very much, plus it works!