Aquabound Edge paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Aquabound Edge paddle

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

There has been a decent amount of talk on C-boats lately in regards to paddles... and I have been talkin a few friends about the AB Edge lately, as they have been having shoulder problems paddling w/ stiffer paddles... so I figured I'd put a post up letting people know about the goodness from Aquabound's Carbon Edge.

The Edge was the first 'performance' paddle that I bought. I have yet to break one...and its not because of how clean I have been paddling in the past... I think its cuz the shaft has give, and thats why it doesnt snap. It's a light paddle, at $90...cheapest on the market. It's also really easy on the shoulder - for longevity. So if you are having shoulder problems, or worry about having shoulder problems - you should really look into AB's canoe paddle.

AB also makes a breakdown Edge @ $140 (best breakdown on the market IMO). I know I'm incredibly happy with both of mine.

PS - If you are on the fence about getting one - Aqua-bound customer service is second to none. I have yet to run into another WW company with better customer service.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Great stick for the money, but they need to do something about that whimpy T grip!
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

DougB wrote: but they need to do something about that whimpy T grip!
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7964715

:)
JD
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Doug - You got a great point. It would be nice to have custom T-grips... or like if they had 3 different designs, of which you could pick one. I think there are some logistical issues with that since they deal with retailers.

Personally, I like the T-grip on it. It's small so it allows me to use finesse much easier than a big block of a T-grip.

Power on the top hand should come from your palm. Essentially all you need is Palm, thumb and pinky. Why do I know this?...Stateline Falls caused me to paddle with just my palm, thumb and pinky for about a month lol

Doug, you raise a very good question for me... and perhaps more people can jump in on this.... Why is it people like Big T-grips?
Standingman
Pain Boater

Post by Standingman »

I have broke 2 of the FG blades, got caught in the rock, but not the carbon one. The good thing I didn't have a lot of money tide up in them. It is the paddle I use.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

yup - that's why they switched to the Plastic blades. They stopped making the fiber glass ones last year i believe. Good to hear your using them...

i agree - I dont have $200-400 to dump on a paddle either. I love that you can paddle an edge without being terrified of what happens if they actually broke
Standingman
Pain Boater

Post by Standingman »

From what I understood they make a FG reinforced ABS blade with a FG shaft and what I have, a carbon reinforced blade with a carbon shaft. 8)
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

AB Carbon Edge is a decent paddle, but when the blade breaks, it typically breaks all the way across and it is not pretty, if your in the meat. If you have not had one break yet, you will see what I m talking about when it does.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

AB Carbon Edge is a decent paddle, but when the blade breaks, it typically breaks all the way across and it is not pretty, if your in the meat. If you have not had one break yet, you will see what I m talking about when it does.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I think those paddles are terrible and in my opinion being flimsy isn't a easy on the shoulder design just a poor product
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

For the price point I'm sure they're very good, but I'd be loath to use a nylon paddle...

Properly pressure moulded glass or carbon-kevlar is just so much better (Werner, Galasport, Robson, Lightning, even [though i'm not a fan] Ophion) for not much more money;

Hollowform Pre-Preg carbon (Vertical Element, double dutch, vadja, Raab or some galasport) are also superior blades, but a little more fragile (apart from the VE blades which are designed and made by an ex-c1 world champion and have been tested extensively for creeking and big water expedition paddling now).

And of course, Wooden paddles (be they carved, or laminated) are the real deal... Not that a Mitchell or Jimistyk can compete with AB on price, though it could thrash it for durablity.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

just a matter of what you want...

If a flimsy paddle feels fine, them my all means buys two or three. I borrowed one as a spare, and wasn't at all thrilled about it...but it certainly did beat not having a paddle at all.

However if price was my main concern, I'd look at a Carlisle paddle. :) They certainly have a better feel than the AB's do, are less flimsy, with some give for the shoulder, and are way more durable than most any paddle. Plus you can outfit a family of four, for the price of one AB. (Some at an especially good price - as they can be found all over commercially run rivers for free).
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    FullGnarlzOC
    C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

phil - your talking about the ones with the metal shaft right?

when I had my AB ripped out of my hand in the Room of Doom at UG last year.... I went creeking shortly after - and had to result to using a '52 inch Carlisle paddle...on 2 Class V+ first OC1 descents... that was scary - those blades are rather small...I don't recommend paddling class V with one lol - im sure u have had similar experience at some point and time

The only time I really notice the 'noodleness' of the Edge is when I'm paddling in very heavy current (see Upper Gauley) or when I'm paddling against the current, and trying to change the direction of my boat... aka going down stream, then turning the boat upstream in current, and changing momentum of boat from downstream to upstream(ferry)...and even then, it still performs, but you can just definitely feel the flex...

I like how light they are, without having the stiffness of a Werner Bandit. Those things are rough on the shoulder
    TNbound
    CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:[...] without having the stiffness of a Werner Bandit. Those things are rough on the shoulder
    I would say the Carbon Bandit is rough on the shoulders and everything else. Any carbon paddle without a foam/wood core is just way to stiff for my tastes. The fiberglass Bandit, and any other fiberglass Werner stick, I find to have a perfect flex. Just enough to be a little easy on you but not so much you sacrifice feel. Not to mention they are built like pry bars.

That being said, I paddle with a wood core, carbon shaft Bailey Stick....
    -Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
    Wiggins
    C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Does anyone know where I can find a 2 pc. Aquabound Edge or Odyssey?

I have been looking online, but no luck so far.

Kyle