Zephyr update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Wendy, thank you for the link to

Post by ChrisKelly »

the DP 8005 article. It was very helpful.
creek1r
Pain Boater

d-rings to abs

Post by creek1r »

Dont use vinyl Ds. Get the ones made of ABS then use 3M. NOC and other outfitters should have ABS Ds in various sizes.
MotorCityOC-1
C Guru

Post by MotorCityOC-1 »

My experience with ABS d-ring anchors ended badly. IMHO they are too sensitive to miscalculations in the angle at which the d-ring itself will be pulled. There's no room for the ring to twist. If it does, it can easily crack the plastic and game over.

Maybe there's a different kind than the rectangular gray ones I'm thinking of?
Last edited by MotorCityOC-1 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Regardinbg the rectanular gray D-ring holders,

Post by ChrisKelly »

I've used them a lot. What I do is lose the steel ring and replace it with a loop of good climbing line.

However, I have pulled both the steel D-ring and the rope loops through the channel, leaving a very well glued in hunk of strong plastic with a ragged edge in my boat. I have migrated back to patches but would use these again. The 2 part epoxy works fine with them, but when they are in they are in. Chris K
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I also don't like the hard d-ring attachments. 1) because I've cracked them and they're a serious pain to remove/grind, and 2) because I think with the smaller surface area and hard edges they put more stress on the hull - I've had stress cracks happen around these d-rings, but not vinyl bases.

If you're using the bases, a string loop instead of the metal ring sounds like a good idea.

PY.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

A dring , held down by a piece of polycarbonate ( lexan is a trade name for it) , and glued with 3M structural aheasive should do the trick. The ploycarbonate is stronger that the boat is and will not break. BTW, MEKP ( methal ethal keytone peroxide) not mek, is used for catalyzing resin. Perhaps the mekp might work better. Havn't tried it though.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Cheap outfittng upgrade checked out on Ocoee River

Post by Wendy »

In an effort to get a roll I carved minicell to make roll aids, but got tired of fussing with it-----> so I got some pool noodles and put them between the airbag and sides (2 on each side) to foam the sides out. They worked great to keep the center of gravity low while going thru bigger water. The deep tumblehome can hold quit a bit of water, but now I blocked it and if they float out because I have swam I will have additional flotation. Okay- hammer me or try it!
Good to see the Helenator and my new lurker friend this weekend.
CaroleW.
C Guru

Staybond

Post by CaroleW. »

is supposed to work. Problem is you can't get it in the US.....
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

What do you need?

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Carole,
What do you need? If it's available here in Switzerland, I can ship it out to you.
Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Why don't you fools just go with the Bulkhead and save a S#!t load of headaches with all this adhesive mumbo jumbo.
Nothin gonna stick to this crap for very long, you're just wasting your time and money.
Just my 2 cents...
Squeaky.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Bulkheads great

Post by Wendy »

but I got the straps to reduce the weight- easier than a diet :lol:
Also- lots of folks try out my Zephyr and with my short fat legs the bulkhead would be too loose for most folks.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Tell em to buy their own. I didn't spend that much $$$ to let a bunch of idiots destroy my stuff(no offense Kenneth,Pac and others)
I have found that keeping the outfitting kinda loose and having a few extra pieces of foam lying around seems to work for others :wink: