Simple Poll on Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

What type of paddle do you use the most?

All Wood - includes wood cores with outer synthetic reinforcement
40%
All Synthetic
36%
Wood blade and Synthetic shaft
8%
Synthetic blade and Wood shaft
17%

Total votes: 53

cadster
CBoats Addict

Simple Poll on Paddles

Post by cadster »

Four choices for whitewater use.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

wood is good :D !

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

touch wood
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I'm sportin' wood.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

Wood shaft.

I don't get the glass shaft wood blade combo's....
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

You can't beat the good old Glass Werner Bandit, As much as I love my Mitchell Premier, the bandit remains my day to day paddle.

I really don't understand the Half and Half paddles...
Wood paddles are nice to use, tough as old boots, warmer in the hands and pretty;
Composite paddles are cheap as chips, tougher than old boots, lighter, and easily available everywhere.
But combo paddles are expensive special order items with a comparatively fragile join, and have uneven weight distributions....
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

a woody is good
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

All this talk of Catherine Bach has gone to paddlers heads
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

what ever is cheapest :( ... would love to be paddling creeks and everything with a Riverstyx paddle but currently use an old werner that i picked up at GAF for next to nothing
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

So what selection do you make in the poll for a carbon-shaft, carbon-covered wood blade, a la Mitchell? All synthetic?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

milkman wrote:So what selection do you make in the poll for a carbon-shaft, carbon-covered wood blade, a la Mitchell? All synthetic?
I'm going to bet that if the carbon covered wood paddles go in "All Wood"... then carbon covered wooden blades with carbon shafts go in "wood blade - Carbon shaft"
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

I've used synthetic paddles since I started paddling, and still do. last year I got a Sawyer canyon guide (probably cheap to some of you guys) but I am really starting to like the wooden paddle.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

huh..huh.. we said wood!
Proud Yankee
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

For what Im looking for. synthetic is by far the best option.

Did the whole wooden stick thing with hockey... and I would just break them. At least with composite I could replace the blade...

With canoeing, quality wooden sticks are just too much money to justify spending. You can get the same performance with a synthetic option, that is much cheaper. And you dont have to worry about breaking that "$250" paddle.

If u use wood because of the relief the flex gives to ur shoulder... there are plenty of synthetic options that offer shoulder and elbow relief.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have yet to find a syntetic paddle that has the same flex and feel of a good wooden stick and that lasts.
All the nice sythetics are too stiff for me. The inexpensive composite paddles just aren't worth it in the long run. A I wore a Bandit out in 1/2 a season, whereas a Backlund or Riverstyx lasts me 3 before it needs a rebuild. And they feel so much nicer, too.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau