Vertige X as a solo for a 290 lb. paddler

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rowdus90
c

Re: Vertige X as a solo for a 290 lb. paddler

Post by rowdus90 »

PaulS wrote:Sounds like an endorsement for the Outrage X. Those can be found, but I heard they are hard to roll. Anyone care to comment on their roll-ability?
I picked up an OutrageX in march this year, paddled it about a dozen times now. I picked a roll up quickly in it. I'm rather consistent in flat water & my combat roll is 50/50. I dont think the reason is the boat, rather the reason is poor technique.

So, I don't think the OutrageX is difficult to roll. I wonder if it gets put into that category because most folks paddling them are on the larger size, which possibly has potential for them to have higher saddles, which definitely makes a roll more challenging?

For a comparison - I weigh 220 & 6'.
DouglasGreen

Post by DouglasGreen »

I'm big -- 225 up to 25o one bad year --and love my Outrage for a good creek boat. A bigger buddy around 2560-260 has an Outrage X and we play virtually side by side. Eddies, surfs, sidesurf, they ride us relatively equally. An the Outrage is a fast boat, good acceleration, with lots of rocker, so when you lay it over and dirve it into an eddy, it spins right in. I loved my Outrage, and my Ocoee is my best tight creeker, but I love my Encore!
DouglasGreen

Post by DouglasGreen »

I'm big -- 225 up to 25o one bad year --and love my Outrage for a good creek boat. A bigger buddy around 2560-260 has an Outrage X and we play virtually side by side. Eddies, surfs, sidesurf, they ride us relatively equally. An the Outrage is a fast boat, good acceleration, with lots of rocker, so when you lay it over and dirve it into an eddy, it spins right in. I loved my Outrage, and my Ocoee is my best tight creeker, but I love my Encore!
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Been a while sines I paddled one but throw Prodigy X into consideration as well. Fast soft chines, good for big guys. A shaman may work good as well. I'm 235 and these were all on my plate before choosing a Nitro, then switching to Ledge. I recently picked up a used zephyr as my fast boat and been digging it so far.
Proud Yankee