Big Dog OC1 Force

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Neill.2
C Boater

Big Dog OC1 Force

Post by Neill.2 »

Hello Paddle Community...

I have the great fortune to be paddling this awesome boat, but I am a bit undecided about how to tighten up the outfitting... The air tanks are removed, I have gotten some larger airbags but I am swimming in the cock pit. I love the outfitting in my son's Esquif Taureau but doing a full on re-fit is a last resort.

The Foot Pegs are too far back (do I drill new holes or put in a new daisy chain?
Do I dare attempt thigh straps in a plastic boat?
This is the first plastic boat I have had to work with...what is the best adhesive for foam?

Okay C-Boaters---I know some of you have turned this boat's outfitting into a personal work of art...

Need some ideas and best practices before I get started.

Neill
Libraryhound
c

Re: Big Dog OC1 Force

Post by Libraryhound »

Neill I don't know the proper etiquette on using other peoples pics but here is a link of a re-outfitted Bigdo. lots of M-foam.
hope that helps some I'll look for mores.
Libraryhound.

http://s1327.photobucket.com/albums/u67 ... Big%20Dog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

I bought a used one fitted with foam, pulled it apart completely and reoutfitted it with a bulkhead, sidewall foam and thwarts very similar to what is on the posted picture, just that I did a one-piece bulkhead instead of fumbling pieces into the side of it, which was probably a bit harder to get in while also glueing the saddle. Gonna do a conversion soon on a friends Force, mainly the same style. I added Yakimas. Saved some decent kg of weight over all..

I will check my pics.
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

mahyongg ... what adhesive did you use...and how did you attached the Yakimas?

Neill
Mat

Post by Mat »

I fitted straps into my BD,
The quick release is bolted directly to the plastic saddle between my legs and the straps go back to the thwart bolts...it made a massive difference to the feel in the cockpit!
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

I used standard contact adhesive to glue all the minicell together and the saddle down on the floor, pressed it all down with the thwarts, that have center dowels to prevent side slipping. Actually, that wouldn't happen up front due to the Bulkhead, but whatever. I'll just carry that weight ;D

The Yakimas are bolted to threaded round stock aluminum, ca. 18mm circumference, that is 1,5cm less wide than the saddle base so it presses the Yakimas into the foam. Super Rock solid, no play at all. A little heavy.. if I had a drill press I'd probably drill the hades out of that aluminum rod, or maybe use a (larger even?) pipe and thread or weld a piece of threaded round stock in it like a nut.

It's basically the same as what some people do with wood or plastic dowels, but more sturdy. No factory pieces of outfitting left in my boat, and of course I cut out the cockpit to the rim as well.