Outfitting Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

philinasheville
C Guru

Outfitting Question

Post by philinasheville »

I'm outfitting a sub 7 as a C1, and need some help with adhesive's.

Will DAP Weldwood (Red Can) work for applying the foam saddle and knee pads to the plastic?

I will be using thigh straps and need to know what I should use to glue the D Rings to the plastic. In my Open Boat's, I allways use vynabond. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Phil
Aric
Pain Boater

Post by Aric »

Phil
red can works great for glueing foam to plastic, but good luck finding something to glue d rings, that's why lots of people use center rails of some sort.

Aric
allan
C Boater

Post by allan »

contact cement will bond foam to foam, and foam to kayak.

just make sure it is the super poisonous stuff (which the red can is i believe)

as for d-rings, don't bother. Getting d-rings to stick to a kayak hull is dam near impossible.

If you want thigh straps, you need to run something down the centre of the hull (old paddle shaft, fence rail, etc) and then mount the straps to that in front of the saddle.

If it's a newer boat, most will have some sort of hull stiffening system that you can usually drill through to install straps.

good luck!

-allan
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

rails

Post by chuck naill »

My son ran his thigh straps under the kayak rail that he used to build the pedistal. You can use a couple of pieces of foam, etc to keep the straps from slidding too much.
philinasheville
C Guru

Outfitting (Cont)

Okay....I understand now how to use the center rail in the kayak to mount the forward end of the thigh straps. How do I mount the rear ends of the thigh straps? Do I have to drill through the kayak?
allan
C Boater

Post by allan »

because kayak cockpits are usually not nearly as roomy as an open boat, it is usually effective to mount your thighstraps with bolts through the holes that the kayak seat was mounted on (ie, they're at the top of the boat, right at your hips)

otherwise, it is always possible to drill a new hole in the hull to attach the straps, just consider how you plan to keep that new hole watertight (rubber washers, aquaseal, etc.. lots of options)

good luck!

-allan
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

drilling

Post by chuck naill »

Phil

You can drill a hoel or use existing ones. Take a d ring and cut out the oval middle section and then bend the sides together. Bolt this on the underside of the cockpit. One could also use nylon webbing and a small caribiner. Any metel peice that is not one peice will not last long.

Chuck
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

as it has been said above, for glueing anything - contact cement, the most toxic stuff you can find, even if it says not for foam, it works great.

I use a heat gun on both the foam and the kayak hull to heat up the contact cement right before i slap them together. And make sure you sand your kayak hull abit so it's NOT nice and smooth, it will adhere a bit better,
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
philinasheville
C Guru

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. Can't wait to try this C-1 thing out!