Shaman

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

NSOC1
C Boater

Shaman

Post by NSOC1 »

Anyone have any oppinions about the Mohawk Shaman? Looking at it and the MR Outrage. I know the shaman's faster, and supposedly more stable. Anyone know maneuverablility wise?
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

Nate, best way to find out for yourself is to try paddling one and then hop in an Outrage. I've only had a brief spin in one, but it felt like a barge compared to the Outrage. Definitely not faster nor more nimble than an Outrage. I've heard it's suited to bigger guys.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I took a brief spin in one, playing at a spot on the James in Richmond. I thought it was "fast" and "nimble" but not overly stable. However, I had just hopped out of a hard chined boat and the owner had no bags in it so my perception of the stability might be skewed ! :lol: [No, bags don't affect stability, but they do make you more nervous about swamping or flipping, especially somebody else's boat!]

I qualify as a bigger guy, heavier at least. It was plenty big for me and I can understand the previous poster's comment.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Shaman

Post by Mikey B »

A few years back I was looking for a Mango Outrage, and not finding one, and being intrigued by the Shaman, I bought one. I was originally thinking I would trip out of the boat sometimes too (hasn't happened yet).
One must remember that the Shaman is really a 13"-2" boat that Mohawk shortened a bit to mold in royalex...so it is a bigger boat.
That said it feels much more like the Outrage than the Outrage X.
I paddle with plenty of guys who paddle Outrages and have played around in the Outrage a fair amount, so I can give my impressions.
The Outrage has better acceleration, maybe giving the impression of being faster to some, but the Shaman is definitely faster...but not dramatically.
In royalex the Shaman feels heavy and takes a couple of good strokes to get it up to some good speed. I was worried about this at first, but it hasn't proven to be a problem.
They both are quite playful hulls for bigger boats.
They both bow surf great, you can notice a difference in carving/moving on some waves because of the different bow shapes.
Attainments are good in both designs. I know in the Shaman I've been able to climb back up through some stuff I never would've thought possible.
They both side surf easily as well. One nice thing about the Shaman is that it has more stern rocker and softer edges in the back, which I can use to my advantage getting out of some sticky holes where my friends have a much harder time exiting. This same profile can give me trouble dropping over bigger drops into holes as it wants to slide back into a stern surf if I'm not careful.
I'd give an edge to the Shaman in stern surfing, but both do that well too.
One thing about the Shaman, it is very, very comfy in squirrely water. The secondary stability is fantastic (pretty darn good in the Outrage too) and it rolls the easiest of any bigger boat that I've rolled.
Actually, I don't see that much performance difference between the Outrage, Rival, Shaman, Probe 12 II...they all have some definite differences, but not so dramatic...still have the same sort of feeling for me...I'm sure I'd be happy paddling any of these if it was my boat.
I love my Shaman and don't regret buying it. I still might opt for an Outrage new doing it again...but, after trying some shorter boats though, I can see the limitations of these boats and like the gained performance from a hotter boat.
The Ocoee, Zephyr, Spark would all be worth trying...and me,
I'm saving up for a Taureau :D
MB
riverratrsf
c

Shaman

Post by riverratrsf »

I like my Shaman, if I had to buy a canoe it would probably be another Shaman. I like the speed, stability, and manuverability, but it's probably a little wetter than an Outrage. I think Mohawk may have put bigger decks on the Shaman since my boat was made, so the new ones are probably better.
Scott
Keep the Open Side Up!
NSOC1
C Boater

Post by NSOC1 »

I know people don't think it's a great play boat, compared to a Detonator or the flatbottomed boats. But I've seen the designer Harold Deal spin and play in that boat I've never seen anyone else do in any kind of OC1,
like having people stand up in the back when there aren't any airbags while spinning....
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

It a good all around boat. Can't beat it for speed, good performace in a forgiving package. The new larger`deck plates look to give the boat a dryer ride as the ends are much fuller now and the overall boat a bit wider.

BUT if you want one better move fast - Mohawk has stopped making canoes. Last I heard only 3 Shamans were left in stock, once they are gone thats it.

No Vipers left...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Jim P wrote:
BUT if you want one better move fast - Mohawk has stopped making canoes. Last I heard only 3 Shamans were left in stock, once they are gone thats it.

No Vipers left...
:o :( :cry: !!?
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

You can buy a glass Shaman from Hemlock Canoe in Hemlock NY.
http://www.hemlockcanoe.com/

Tommy