soliciting opinions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kc

soliciting opinions

Post by kc »

I have been driving an Ovation for the last couple of years, and I am looking for something more sporty.....i.e. faster, more nimble. I am not much into playboating, just river running, and technical ones at that. I am thinking of several different boats as a replacement, such as the Zoom, Detonator, Occoee, or the Prelude. I would welcome any information that could steer me towards a wise choice.

-kc
NSOC1
C Boater

Post by NSOC1 »

The Zoom and Detonator are more centered towards playing and surfing I think. Especially the Detonator is very slow, but is an amazing surfer, probably not the best running boat. The MR Outrage is a lot of fun, haven't used an ovation, but the Outrage is quick, nimble, surfs well when you need it etc.
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I agree with NSOC1 on the Detonator. Great play boat but it's a little slow.
IMO you ought to paddle an Outrage before you buy one. I love mine but don't find a lot of difference between it and my friends Ovation.
Maybe consider the Spark?

Tommy
Jim P
C Guru

Post by Jim P »

For tight and technical the Ocoee & Zoom are great boats. Which is right for you? Try both. The Ococee has much better initial stability but runs wetter. The Zoom runs dry, very easy and dry to roll. For me at 207lbs the Zoom ran drier than the Ocoee, in fact I started getting lazy about wave blocking with the Zoom.
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Having raved below about the Spark,

Post by ChrisKelly »

I won't get into all thqt again. Try a Spark. I bet you will like it; it is best at exactly the things you are talking about.
Chris Kelly
Dale
C Boater

Try Sparky

Post by Dale »

I concur with Chris. The Esquif Spark sounds like the boat you might want to try. The Spark a.k.a. Sparky is amazing! Faster than a speeding wave, attainment is great. Technical paddling is a breeze and a delight. Catch and eddy like you never thought you could.
Boat acts like it has incredible power steering from the knees, you don't need the long forward stroke with the pry to always get it going. Much of the paddling takes place in the front. Cross forwards can keep the moment going forward if you hold the boat flat but a ever slight touch of wt on the knee in crossing with turn the boat. Surfs front geat, I have been able to put it were I want too and quickly. Light, fast and very manuverable. :D
Very asymetrycal boat can't say enough positive about paddling this boat. I bought my Spark in May 05 and have paddle it quite a bit this year. There is a learning curve but it has been fun.

I also have paddle an Outrage for years. This is also an excellent boat. Fast is it own way, manuverable, playable and my old standby. 8)
I own a Detnoator which was fun for playing, eddy catching and creek stuff. No attaining. One tough boat in terms of lay up. Lot of fun. But Sparky is totally different and not just a racing boat - remember faster than a speeding wave - which means you can catch to surf :wink:
Plus you can't beat the color 8)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Spark is more like a slalom boat or extremely fast river cruiser. The new Esquif Zephyr may hold promise. The Ocoee is a great all-arounder. There are loads of good boats out there depending on what you plan to do with them.

It may be helpful for us to help you to define "technical river running"... are you talking steep creeks, technical classIII, or?
You may want to give us some of your dimensions (hgt, wgt, skill) to guide you along. Help us help you. :D

Getting out of an Ovation will be a whole new wonderful world. There aren't a lot of terrible boats... but that one is close.