CU Fly Outfitting pics

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Col
Pain Boater

CU Fly Outfitting pics

Post by Col »

Can anyone mail any photo's of there kitted out CU Fly and Spanish Fly. Plus any advice on the best trim.

These are two projects i am working on and any help with ideas would be great.

It seems the Craig Smerda link to his outfitting page doesn't work anymore

colincol78@aol.com

Thanks
C - UNIT..!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Here's the link to the original article I wrote for them http://kayakoutfitting.com/tips/wwcanoe/index.html

For what it's worth I don't use the plastic plate that comes in the CUFly. I make a complete foam saddle for them with adjustable Yakima footpegs. In concept the original design isn't bad... but a saddle that moves around in a boat that you are throwing around in a hole just doesn't work for me. I tried four ways to get it to work... all with failure. Make a saddle, add some hipgrabbers and go! :D
ghetto johnny
C Guru

Post by ghetto johnny »

hey craig,
how are you?
speaking of outfitting,is there anyway that you could send me a couple of pictures of your boat setup?
i've set it up according to your site but
been in the pool lately and there's been numerous comments about my outfitting not being tight enough, so i was wondering if i could check out the "masters" boat
no disrespect intended
i would really appreciate it though
thanks for any help
John C.
Cincy,Ohio
ghettojohnny2000@yahoo.com
chriscanoes

CuFly outfiting

Post by chriscanoes »

Hey Craig, what kind of holes are you going in, I have had my CuFly since they came out, I only use double sided tape and I do not notice any movement and the few times I swim I have never lost any foam.

I use the factory seat btw. What movement do you notice??

Probably just lucky.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

The plastic saddle plate on the hull was driving me insane. The plate under constant use and pressure detaches from the hull near the front and rear (it's only glued on with a thin layer of foam and contact cement). The saddle sits in the plastic plate and can't be glued to the foam saddle. The foam saddle sliding around or shifting on the plate tears the foam bulkheads loose.... forget that. One of my pal's was having the same issue with his boat and we gutted his too.. built a foam saddle with adjustable pegs... glued it together and he hasn't had an issue since. If you push hard on the pegs like I do the problem seems to show quicker. The other bonus I have with my saddle is that it is cut out to fit me... It doesn't have an extra 4-5" of vacant space in front of or behind you like a factory one... this boat is tight!

Another problem this solved was the footpegs slipping due to the pressure I put on them. Not having to carry an allen wrench and the fact that you can adjust the pegs at any time now is also a huge bonus. Frankie was really proud of the original setup.... probably the one of the few ideas he had that I abhorred. A lot of guys use lapbelts to keep them in the boat and don't push on the pegs... I feel I get "way more" control being locked to the hull.