Fellow Wheelboy owners...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Fellow Wheelboy owners...

Post by Sir Adam »

Just a quick question for you, especially those who recieved some of the first boats:

has your minicell "shrunk"? When my boat first arrived everything was nice and tight. In the move of the "museum" over the weekend, I've noticed all of the glue has let loose, and all the pieces have significant gaps (example being the seat-back-was a snug fit, now there is almost 1/4" of a gap!!)?

I'm wondering whether it is age related, or if it's the cold....

I must say the boat is a joy to store...it's back verticle "standing" in a shed.
Keep the C!
Adam
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

mine seems good.
the seat foam (bottom) did come loose, but i "fixed" it with duct tape.
Larry
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

I dunno about boat plastic but PVC expands and contracts a fair bit with the temperatures. Pretty cold out there the last couple of nights.
This is the weather when I expect to see PVC pipe runs pull apart at the joints (electrician).
Why don't you bring it inside, warm it up and see if things go back to thier usual sizes?
Cone Bone
C Guru

Mitey tighty

Post by Cone Bone »

All's good in my WB.

We've had temp's down into the teens here lately - record setting lows for the Pacific NW - but no change to the minicell in my WB.

PS: Sorry to hear of all the boat/shed madness you have been having recently. Sounds like a pain in the butt!
Boise Bob
Pain Boater

Post by Boise Bob »

I've had the same issue. I equated it to the heat of direct sun.
C1 Throwdown--Ride'm Cowboy!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Wheelboy

Post by billcanoes »

I think I told many of the latter wheelboy buyers this- and Marko also brought this up. The gluing stinks in the wheelboy, and the foam does too.

The foam if left in direct sun will curl forward- I would recommend pulling the foam up and replacing it with minicell.

I've had the knee and ankle pads come up too, as has Martin. I reglued with weldwood and a hot air gun.

Bill
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Foam and cell

Post by PAC »

I basically gutted my WB and replaced all the factory outfitting with minicell. Not strictly based on shrinkage, etc. (but that was part of it) but because I like a better fit. I think it was worth the effort. My $.01!

UPDATE:
Don't get me wrong the outfitting was very nice - I just tweaked it to my needs. I still keep the composite base since that made the custom work much easier! I just like a higher butt block, sloped seat and my knees out wider! The WB still ROCKS!!!
Last edited by PAC on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Marko
Pain Boater

foam ...

Post by Marko »

HI

Here is some facts and issues of WB outfitting.

1. The seat bottom made out of carbon kevlar and glass is really strong and stiffens to hull. cut it shape it drill it to make it lighter anything is possible.... after all it seres your attchment s and makes the hull last against oilcanning and all shitty issues.

Bolt your straps to this and you will be securelly in boat and it is easy to do.

2. Knee vedges, just bolt em if you dont like em, slolomists like narrower knee position so it is an extra.

3. Seat foam (one you siton is soft and comfy). It is special non scratch model you can add more if needed. the backfoam you lean on can be too soft for some riders but i persomnally have my rim / hipgrapper to support it...

4. knee foams ... problems .... they sucked in the old ones , because the foams compressed too easy. Unfortunatelly that seems to be problem with all reasonably weighted foams. It hapened to all my boats no matte what brand. It just needs changing once or twice a season.... SORRY .. for peole using kneecups this is less a problem.

5. Gluing .... few problems... PE is next to impossible. But or drakkar saddle you can glue easy . Please use std. contact cement and you are good to go.

6. Front pillar and back pillar are std minicell and work great :-)

Hope it helps ....

Marko
--
Marko Hakolahti
Designer
DRAKKAR
www.drakkarkayaks.com
Boise Bob
Pain Boater

Post by Boise Bob »

Marko, you mention your wheelboy hip grabber ... are these available? I've not ever seen them on the Drakker website.
Boise Bob
Pain Boater

Post by Boise Bob »

Oh, and for the record, I still LOVE MY WHEELBOY. Minor outfitting issues gives me something to do -- love the WB console.

Bring on the FatBoy. In the mean-time, I will have to aquire an H3 255 and convert.
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

Wheelboy

Post by billcanoes »

For the record I still like my wheelboy too- the foam that comes with it and the gluing could be a little better-the boat itself is a blast, IMO.

Wish I were a tad lighter for it. Basically I think it just needs $10 worth of minicell, glue and a little time- The console itself is awesome

I don't think the hip grabbers ever made it to production.
I took the angled knee supports out- I wonder if cut if they would work as hip grabbers???

Bill
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Boise- you are gonna love the h3.
Larry
Marko
Pain Boater

TO BILL

Post by Marko »

HI

Bills idea of cutting the knee wedges to hip grappers propbly works out fine.

I left the proto hip-grapper to production in june. Have to see what is wrong with it. I try not to interfere the production. I will only be on the way.

MH
--
Marko Hakolahti
Designer
DRAKKAR
www.drakkarkayaks.com
Marko
Pain Boater

Secondly

Post by Marko »

THANKS to everybody for feedback.... we have updated most foams to better guality and last pieces will be changed.

The gluing will be made differently from now on too.

I suppose many would also be happy to recieve their boat unglued to make seat hight adjustments etc easier ...

MH
--
Marko Hakolahti
Designer
DRAKKAR
www.drakkarkayaks.com