Serious question for everyone regarding the CForum

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Serious question for everyone regarding the CForum

Post by adamin »

As I've alluded to, we have some major changes coming to CBoats.net , mostly along the lines of things already discussed and asked for (e.g. new Video section, easier searches, more content, etc...).

We're already planning on offering 2 or 3 "ad spots" to CBoater friendly places to help defray the costs of running the forum (we'll see if there's any interest!)

So, my question is, how do folks feel about the "google ads" that some sites include as a side bar? In general, as a user of the forum, I DO NOT like ads (this goes for all forums I participate in). That said, I also realize that the money to pay for the forum has to come from somewhere. I've also noticed that the google ads actually DO related to what I'm reading, and sometimes have led me to new stores out there (which is what they're trying to do, I know).

So, please let me know how you feel about places with the sidebars with "Ads by Google". I do not even know if they would accept our humble site as ad worthy, but I am not going to pursue it if there are a lot of folks against it.

If you do not feel comfortable posting, please e-mail or PM me (links near this post...PM and E-mail).

I'm hoping these changes can really enhance the community we've built here, and am apprehensive about doing anything that might detract from it.

Thank you,
Adam (and Kenneth, though he doesn't know I'm posting this;) )
Dale@half-shaft
C Boater

Post by Dale@half-shaft »

Simple ads such as are found on BoaterTalk don't bother me.

Pop ups are annoying. Ads that do a lot of flashing are REALLY annoying.
madmike
C Guru

$

Post by madmike »

what the h_e_l_l_, you should get something for all of this work.
fez
CBoats Addict

ads

Post by fez »

I don`t have any problems with ads - go for it
imagine
Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

I would much rather have ads than lose this forum. Esp if the ads allow growth in content like you indicated above.

Paddlers are a really cheap bunch. I doubt that donations (like freeware - eg. Spybot) would work, but it's a thought. How much money annually are we talking about here? Both to run the board and from ads?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Banner ads, google ads - no problem.

A "contribute" button - no problem.

Memberships/subscriptions (where non-members are restricted not at all or minimally) - no problem

Pop-up ads - we'll need to talk! :lol:
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

I agree with Sbroam - everything except pop-up ads would be fine, they are a pain.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

One thing...

Post by adamin »

Thank you for the responses so far-I'm going to wait a few days before making a decision whether to pursue google ads or not.

I do want to address a few items brought up, though:
1) Pop up ads-we WILL NOT have them. That's what drove us here years ago, and I can't stand them either. As stated, I want to enhance this web-space, not detract from it, and pop up ads (and flashy banner ads) take your attention away from the real content too much.

2) Contributions. At the Armada several folks gave generously, and PAC has this bad habit of randomly sending me checks:) While this is GREATLY appreciated, I'm looking for a way to not have to rely directly on the goodwill of the community (of which there is a lot, don't get me wrong!)

3) "Member" space. While I like the idea, I do not want to limit content for folks who cannot afford it. I know we could do it cheaply, but back when I was a broke college student I wouldn't have spent $1 just to get more information on a hobby (I know, I know, I would have saved it for a boat... :roll: But I only had 2 back in college, and sold them both to buy 1...). A very limited difference and allowing Memberships is something I will discuss with Kenneth tonight to see if we could incorporate it easily. It's an interesting idea, but I would be curious to see how many folks would be willing to purchase a membership where they would get little additional benefit other than knowing they're helping keep the community running.

That said, if the "micropayment" idea every catches on I will look in to it, as I think it has a lot of validity.

Please keep your feedback coming-both for and against. The Kenneth and I "run" the site, we truely do view it as a community endeavor.

Thank you 8)
Adam
Last edited by adamin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I don't feel Ad banners would bother most folks. I would also approach the companies that benefit from this site's recommendations.

I think a membership drive would be a good idea. Most of the folks that utilize this board are grown-ups that have real jobs and could afford to toss in a few bucks now and again.

C-boats.net is THE worldwide web site for c-boaters. I can't even count how many times I have seen folks on other message boards recommend people with c-questions to come here. There is no better place for information, meeting other half-shafters, and a strong spirit of community than here. This is a resource we would all miss if it where gone.

Whatever you decide to do. I support whole-heartedly.

Craig Smerda
Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

You could have an annual 'drive' like the PBS stations.

Contribute now! Goat is $1,000,000. Raised so far $1.18.

Agree that a lot of us have real incomes and could support something like this, perhaps along with non-intrusive ads.
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

I like the membership drive idea. At the very least we could have different icons to associate with folks that donate certain amounts. Whether that donation be time, materials, money, etc.

With the CBoats redesign that we are currently working on I belive we should easily have the room on the right or left of the page to handle a Google ad bar if that's the route we go.
Jim
C Guru

Do it

Post by Jim »

Connecting with canoers through the C-Forum is a valuable resource. I think ads are a great way to support this wonderful service. Go for it.
Jim
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

No ads!! Get your lazy butt to work and

Post by ChrisKelly »

give the rest of us this service for free! 8)

I am just joshing. Ads are fine with me (except popups). I would also subscribe if it were reasonable.

This is a great site and I appreciate it. Chris Kelly
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Ads (as long as they are not pop-ups) are fine with me.
Menbership or would also be something that I wold sign up to.

Keep up the great work!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Ads, membership, fine with me. C-Boats is worth paying for. Where do I send my Check?

Please, no pop-ups. They were so agravating on the old site.