Seda Phoenix

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

WarrenSandy
c

Seda Phoenix

Post by WarrenSandy »

Is anyone familiar with the subject boat? I'd like to know if it would meet my needs (See my "C-1 Advice" post below"). Your comments would be appreciated.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Seda

Post by PAC »

Based on your previous post...
...pushing 50, but am very interested in getting into a C-1. I want something just to run the river (class II-III) as I have no desire to be shredding holes.
I would think this would be a nice old school boat with speed and glide! I had (have) a beater MaxII that started my C1 focus. Longer glass can be faster and mucho fun!

I'm assuming this boat is in good shape and with a skirt (there are pictures of one in the SF area at ...
http://www.craigslist.org/pen/boa/173708875.html to judge against)! I use to have a review on the the Pheonix but can't find it! Sorry!

If that is the case and the price looks okay it would do nicely! But what do I know! Is it close to your location - that might be the deal maker!

Others (the "older" school racers) might be able to provide more details as to functionality and design! Hopefully you get something you like and go have fun in it! As Dave M says ..."everything happens faster in glass"! :wink:
There are some maintenance issues with glass but that is part of the fun too.
Enjoy and keep us posted!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Rumplestiltskin
C Boater

Post by Rumplestiltskin »

I've heard of a boat manufacturer named Seda, and another manufacturer named Phoenix.

But I am not aware of a C-1 named the Phoenix that was made by Seda.

The Craig's List boat pictured looks like a Phoenix Seewun. That model boat is described on the Phoenix kayaks website. Note the Phoenix logo that has appeared on all their boats for decades.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

If the boat you are interrested looks as good as the one from Craig's List that PAC linked to it is probably a good deal. You can expect to have to replace a lot of foam and you may need to do some work on the anchors. Those boats where good solid C-1s. They will be heavier and more brittle than current composites. Seda made a good durable boat. Finding a sprayskirt for one may be bit difficult and may cost more than the boat. Consider making your own spary skirt. It ain't that hard..... Sweet Composites has everything you need to outfit this boat.

On the plus side, it will be a good platform to learn forward strokes to include cross bow strokes. It will be fast, track nicely and be a real pleasure to paddle upstream. You will be able to surf tall fast waves that smaller boats can only dream of ever getting on. They are easy to repair and as it is most likely made with S-glass, it will be abrasion resistant.

On the negative side, Rolling will be a little more difficult than a shorter boat. It will breed an over reliance on a stern rudder for a correction stroke which you will totally have to ween yourself off of when you move up to something more current. It will be brittle. It will be more susceptible to broaching because of its length (Get four full stern air bags from a kayak). This boat will taco on a rock in heart beat.

All that being said, get the boat and get paddling. There is only one thing better than a new boat and that is..... smashing up new boat!

Have Fun and get on the river! Hurry, there is a wave out there with your name on it!

Tom
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I paddled a Phoenix Seewun from '84 to '96. The boat in the picture is probably a Seewun, and not a Seda. Seda did make a large 13 foot C-1, usually in Kevlar..... a very decent boat by old school standards.

The Phoenix C-1 is kind of "tubular," and therefore does not ferry as well as, say, a Gyramax. The Seewun hull is Swedeform, and heavier paddlers may find that the bow is too loaded down. If I ever paddle mine again, I plan to shift the whole cockpit back an inch, to unload the bow. The Seewun is really a bow-paddled boat, and with my unusual height, I could plant the blade almost at the tip of the bow. My Dagger Zealot is actually less "cab forward" than the Phoenix.

I do not know whether Phoenix every used S-glass. They used Nylon to keep the boat together. My Seewun is "Fiberlastic," meaning it is made from vinylester resin and polyester cloth. Fiberlastic boats can last MUCH longer than poly boats. They seldom break, and are easily repairable.

You can see my Seewun at "See Boats" on this site.

I would very much like to find some good pictures of that big Seda C-1, so that we can put an entry on See Boats.