Updated outfitting plan for Seewum

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

WarrenSandy
c

Updated outfitting plan for Seewum

Post by WarrenSandy »

After digesting all your comments (here and on p-net) and discovering old accessories in my garage here's the plan I've come up with for outfitting my Seewum. I've shaved down the seat and knee cups so that they probably will work as is. Little did I know that the 1-1/2" D-rings with the hard plasic anchors mentioned in an earlier post are actually made by Voyageur for installing in composite boats, so I will use these for the thigh strap floor anchors. Perusing the internet I discovered "North Water - Adjustable Thigh Strap Anchors." I'll purchase these for the side anchors provided they can be glued to the boat. The actual thigh straps I already have (2" webbing with fastex buckles). The old glassed in anchors are going to be a problem - they are in the way of where I want to glue in the replacement anchors (both on the sides and the floor). What would be the best way of working around these anchors? Can the loops be cut out and the attachment points be sanded down? Please let me know if there are any obvious flaws in my plan.

Thanks, Warren
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

To get rid of the old anchors I use a flapper disc on my grinder. Be careful & don't let it get away from you :roll: Then you've got a nice, clean spot to glass to.

Keep an eye on those hard plastic anchors. I had one break mid-way through a trip a few years back. I'm partial to glassed in rope for anchors. It's a little more labor intensive to install, but pretty bomb proof when done correctly. I have trouble with saran wrap for attempting to smooth out the work as you can see in the close up shots. Peel-ply works much better as you can see in the blue/purple boat.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wh20crazy ... /my_photos