What's running in the Ottawa Valley?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adam
c

What's running in the Ottawa Valley?

Post by adam »

Hi there,

Does anybody know what is currently running in the Ottawa Valley? How are the various sections of the Mad/Pet? Ottawa main and middle? Champlain? Is there somewhere to check this info that I don't know about?
Thanks a lot,

Adam
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Hi !

Lots of water here,

Ottawa level at -2(great there last weekend!),

Gatineau river new gauge Bonnet Rouge around +10 (good), www.3200lacs.com

Rouge River seven sisters at 76 M3/sec too high for the falls but good for playing and running. www.myosis.ca/tableau.htm

All within 1,5 hrs drive

Worth your drive !

Enjoy !
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Champlain's not in, the only 'in-town' option would be Remics... not too exciting from what i hear.

Hogs back may be available soon? Open-Gate, when do they typcially release the dam above?

The rouge is definitely a must-do, it's pretty intense - some more-so or comparable to the biggest Ottawa stuff at current levels.

Mike.
Open Gate
C Guru

When is Hog's back good ???

Post by Open Gate »

I had high hopes scouting Hog's back yesterday but unless someone was at the lip pushing us down, the 50mm(2'') of water going by is far from sufficient to run this.

Over the past 2 years we go after the Moose fest, so mid october'ish. I think when they empty rideau canal to get it ready for the skating season is when they divert the flow to the rideau river and there is then sufficient water to run the drops.

A must do(22' vertical no keeper at base) for anyone with a bomb proof roll(swiming the canyon downstream would not be fun).

Let's not forget though not to tresspass along the side of the drops, you have to put in upstream from the bridge/dam beyond the fencing, run the rightside gate of the dam(can be 10' blind drop unscoutable because of the bridge on top) but it's clean and then choose between the main drop or double drop (I'm not sure which is most fun so we run each many times when we go)

Looking forward for this real soon.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

Let us know when you're going - I'd love to see you run it... a bit out of my league still... (IE not a bomb-proof roll)
-- Cya
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Will do, bring your boat just in case... :wink:
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

lol - that'd be a pretty intense run for my 1st waterfall... maybe I shoulda gone to Trick or treat falls today like everyone else and their mom! ;-) literally too - some kid's getting his mom to drive him! haha
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Msims,

Let me know when you huck Hog's Back for the first time, I'll be there with my camera :lol: ...

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau