Suggestions for a good, affordable OC1 starter paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

phreon
CBoats Addict

Suggestions for a good, affordable OC1 starter paddle?

Post by phreon »

I've suffered with crappy Feather Brand paddles long enough to get an idea what length is comfortable; it it's time to move up to something better than "sucks".

I have my eye on a Bending Branches Arrow or Explorer Plus for lakes and easy rivers, but am kind of clueless about whitewater paddles. Is the Sawyer Canyon Guide any good? Or B.B. Expedition Plus? Mitchel Open Boat? Something a newbie idiot can't destroy? The Werner Bandit is a bit pricey for me right now, but then again, it's not that much of a stretch beyond the above mentioned. I'm looking for cheap, but not cheap crap.

Thanks,
Phreon
Last edited by phreon on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

paddle

Post by c1swim »

I own 2 sawyers and love them. The C1 whitewater, not on their website, but available. Basically the canyon guide; only 2oz lighter.
Call them to order. under $100. Great feel, sand the t-grip.
Hope this helps.
dance for rain
Jim P
C Guru

Wood is nice but

Post by Jim P »

I've owned 4 sawyers - broke two of them. Nothing special hit no rocks, just doing a stiff ferry and snap - shaft broke in half. I also found that they are very inconsistent in the blade shapes/sizes from one run to another. You would think that a machine made paddle would be very consistent, but they are not.

Nice grips sure. In fact - I've still got two of their paddles - want to buy one?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I found a nice Grey Owl for a good price that has held up amazingly well.

Mine is like "E", but I think it has the edging all the way around :
http://www.greyowlpaddles.com/pages/recreational.html
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I don`t know if you can get hold of this on the american market - but the Robson Son would give a reasonable priced , very durable starter paddle. Here it costs about 75 $.

[img]http://www.robsonpaddle.de/robsonpaddle ... el/son.gif[/img]
imagine
markdc70
c

Cheap but good

Post by markdc70 »

I got an Aquabound Edge spoon blade paddle last year and so far it seems very durable and I love using it. It has a fiberglass shaft with an injected plastic/fiberglass blade. I think they can be had for around $70.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Aqua Bound

Post by Wendy »

It is a great choice for starter. For creeking, it has been very durable and good in big water. We pay $100-110 in the South for them.
msims
CBoats Addict

Post by msims »

+1 on aquabound.

You can spend from 100-150+ for AB paddles, much better quality than the cheapies you buy at MEC for 60 buck.
-- Cya