Question - what do open boaters wear on their feet.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Question - what do open boaters wear on their feet.

Post by cmnypny »

I have been wearing neoprene booties but they tend not to last that long due to the wearing out line on the bottom from the foot pegs.

Any suggestions?
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Louie

Don't ask me

Post by Louie »

I hate swimmin with shoes on.
mathieuf
c

Post by mathieuf »

first layer wool socks, second neoprene socks with 20$ wallmart running shoes...
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

the NRS attack shoe was what I used, it had a pretty good sole, and it flexed enough. I didn't ever use the foot pegs, because I couldn't bend like that... so perhaps they won't work for you, but they were good shoes for me...
but i haven't used shoes in 2 years...
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
keez
C Guru

footwear

Post by keez »

Colin,
Happy New Year BTW. Last week I wore polypro socks inside my dry suit, then neoprene socks over that and then put on over sized neoprene booties. Nice and warm, even with ice chunks floating around in the boat.
As it warms up, I switch to neoprene socks with Teva shoes, eventually dishing the socks.
I like the pressure you can put on the foot pegs, plus they're great for running around on the rocks. Especially with kayakers chasing you after throwing dead fish at them. (There's a good story behind that!)
SYOTR
Geoff
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Kaz's thongs :lol:
Jim P
C Guru

NRS either the

Post by Jim P »

Workboots or ATB boot. Nice sturdy soles for portages and lunch. Probably to bulky for the decked boaters. ATB's are much easier on and off, but less ankle support.
Crunchy
C Boater

I really like the Hood River shoe.

Post by Crunchy »

They also have a Hood River bootie.
C
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

NRS Kickers when its warmer or NRS Expedition Socks with Keens when its colder.
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

salomon makes a good water shoe Ive been tryin called a tech amphibian, otherwise I use nrs boots w/hydroskin socks.
Helly
C Guru

I really like

Post by Helly »

Keens because of the solid rubber toe guards. And they are comfy for wide feet. Hood River shoes gives neoprene coverage all the way around & are great for winter paddling. The best situation is the Keens with footies in your drysuit though!
The Keens with holes (due to the strapping) in the sides and back tend to let little pebbles in, but are good for summer paddling.
BTW, they make the most comfortable hiking boots too....if you like to hike when you can't paddle!!!
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Question - what do open boaters wear on their feet.

Post by eddyhops »

cmnypny wrote:I have been wearing neoprene booties but they tend not to last that long due to the wearing out line on the bottom from the foot pegs.

Any suggestions?
Why not alter/reshape the footpegs? Add a wear patch to your booties?
JD
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I just wear thick socks and neoprene booties - but by booties, I mean mean little boots, they have a sole and zip up the inside of the ankle, and there's also rubber on the front/top of the bootie.

When you say neoprene bootie that wears out the bottom, do you just mean neoprene sock? If so, get something with some sole.

PY.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

I use the NRS watershoes with felt soles. In winter, Goretex booties in my drysuit with a a good pair of thick wool sox. Summer time, barefoot in the shoe. Springtime, depends on temps (usually a wool sock with the shoe).

Need to get me a pair of Keen's.
CFriik
c

Post by CFriik »

hey Colin, it's Eric - i found your paddle on the ottawa.
cold weather i wear drysuit with neoprene booties for extra protection of the drysuit. for warmth under the drysuit i wear wool or fleece socks. sometimes even battery heated socks, haha, im a wimp.
warm weather usually bare feet or those vibram shoes or have crocs clipped to the boat to wear when i need to walk.
i also have keen hood river shoes but those are mainly when im rafting.