WW/Flatwater Hybrid OC1 ???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

wildfire???

Post by billcanoes »

I used to own one and it was my introduction into WW. it was /is very stable and a nice tripping boat I did several 3/4 day trips in it, but it was very wet on the in class II- II+ rapids, I ran two class IIIs but never finished upright... I'm sure today I would but it would probably be wet, though the rapids I was on were all slides, so it might be a different animal in wave trains.

Bill
Lou
C Boater

Sunburst

Post by Lou »

DougB, Thanks for the correction on the Sunburst specs. Three inches of rocker seems much more reasonable. Perhaps there are differences in how rocker is measured.

So, yes, the Sunburst looks like it would match what I was looking for.
Grillmastertoo
C Boater

Post by Grillmastertoo »

Hey lou--
did you make a decision on what boat to get...i too am looking for a "flatwater up to II water"....im still very new to paddling and after my first trip down the nanty, learned i have a lot of work to do in my ww boat, but want to move ahead with a good tandem boat to try and get the wife on the water...i have been thinking a discovery 169 might be an option as i am 6'1 and 230 pounds...add another person and any camping gear, im thinking i will need the bigger boat...i will be paddling it solo times also, so...im torn...what boat is right for me?
Open for comments and suggestions....
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

I got to throw the OTC Penobscot out there, its not a dry easy ride in Class II+ or III but I got to say "dang that's a fun tripper". Now I'm prepped for the OTC boats suck response but I really enjoy that 16'er. Granted its no WW boat but it'll play in Class II and survive in Class III with bags.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Grillmastertoo wrote:...i have been thinking a discovery 169 might be an option as i am 6'1 and 230 pounds...
you might want to REALLY check the weight of that one
Grillmastertoo
C Boater

Post by Grillmastertoo »

Excellant point Phil--discovery 169 shows a weight of 85 pounds...i wouldnt think that would be a problem with two people, but when i i take it solo, that mightbe hard to handle by my lonesome...
Can you or anyone recommend a boat where it would be light enough for a solo down class two and yet large enough for two full size guys with gear as well yet would also be suitable for day trips down the sipsey or cahaba? i know there not be such a creature, but hopefully with the experience in this group there will be suggestions...im looking for used, but would consider new if the right boat existed....
thanks
Dr John

Post by Dr John »

There's a big difference between the whitewater play boats that most people on this board talk about regularly and all around tripping boats. That said, I'd put a vote in for a Swift Dumoine. My wife and I paddle it on trips, and up to II+/III- with bags. I'd definitely take it down a solid III with a willing partner with bags. Solo, it's not a play boat, but I think you could definitely due III with it if you planned your moves. It will turn on a dime with two in sync paddlers, but it will still spin fast solo. It's highly flared as well, which makes it pretty dry. Oh yea, when it's loaded, it paddles quite fast. If I had to sell all the canoes (Zephyr, ME, Old Town Cascade, MR Guide, glass MR Explorer, Dagger Reflection 16, nearly finished woodstrip) but one, this would be the one that I kept.

Just a thought.

John
Grillmastertoo
C Boater

Post by Grillmastertoo »

john--
that sounds like the perfect boat...i thought one didnt exist...haha..i just wish they were closer to home(alabama) as im sure shipping costs will eat me alive...