Minden 2008 Nat's SternCam!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob P
CBoats Addict

Minden 2008 Nat's SternCam!

Post by Bob P »

I've posted it on YouTube, embedded on my site:

SternCam Video

When I get a chance, I'll put together the clips of other people I video'd from the shore (Friday only).
Bob P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Awesome, just like I was there. Except cleaner. And faster. ;-) I really like that mode of video...
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Thats a very cool view. glad I was able to at least see the course consdiering I couldn't go this year. Some of the gates looked high, maybe it was just the camera angle. Looked like a fun course. Wish I could have made it. :(
B
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Quite a few of the gates were high - for good reason. It was a hard course, and having the gates set low would have made the course near-impossible for most (and somewhat dangerous). I suspect that the rocks were placed with closed boats in mind, not our barges.

As it was, there were probably fewer than 15 clean runs in 400 tries. Lots of swims and 50s too.

Great fun. :D
Bob P
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Great video :D I like that camera view too. Thanks for sharing.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Once I put together the "external" view, you'll get a better perspective of the course. Hopefully this weekend.
Bob P
Scott C
Pain Boater

Post by Scott C »

Great Idea and a smooth run. Thank you for coming up!!

Scott
~~~\open side up/~~~
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Bob,

Now THAT is the coolest dam-n'ed C-paddling related thing I've seen online in a very very VERY long time! I've seen some good helmet cam stuff over the years but that flat out rocked.

If they don't do something similar during the Olympics they are absolute fools. Talk about a fly on the wall... and an OC gives a far better view to boot.

Can you post a few pics of the camera rig for us to see how you have it placed? Let's see now... two on the bow, two on the stern, one on the helmet... :lol:

(OT: The course looked good, similar gate placement as the last time it looks like... I love that place and it bummed me out that I was unable to come.)
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

wonderful!

Thanks

Cheers Frank
imagine
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

The Helmet Hero comes with a 4" square flat mounting plate as part of the package, probably for storage or display purposes. I simply Duck Tape it down to the far end of the stern deck. The line you see going forward was a safety tether just in case I swam and the assembly got knocked off.

On the closed boats, I could imaging a stalk about a foot long sticking straight up from the end of the stern with the camera on it. Otherwise, it's going to spend 90% of the time under water. Unless every competitor had to have one, I suspect people would be reluctant to slow their boat down even a little. Good for a demo run only.
Bob P
bellotti
c

Post by bellotti »

That is such a cool camera angle. As an aspiring cboater, I think my comprehension of strokes was elevated a notch just watching that!

Now get that puppy in a pool and record some rolls! :lol:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

bellotti wrote:That is such a cool camera angle. As an aspiring cboater, I think my comprehension of strokes was elevated a notch just watching that!

Now get that puppy in a pool and record some rolls! :lol:
Great idea! It's been so long since I've been upside down, I'm not sure whether I can still do it... I'm going to fire up the C-1 and attempt to "refine" my technique now that I'm not afraid of hurting myself for the race. I have to warn you that my roll is a bit weird because my 62 year-old bones are not all that flexible anymore. Half high-brace, half low-brace. Maybe I'll get Al Blanchard or Mike Campbell to demo the proper method.
Bob P
edg
C Guru

boater cam

Post by edg »

Very nice- makes me really want to try open boat slalom. I think Bob's idea of the "camera on a stalk" for decked boats is the way to go. This link at about 2 minutes or so shows how the Italians set one up for wildwater worlds.
http://www.wwtv.it/eng/video%20028.html

Also, if you go to footage of the individual sprints-c-1 category, the first boat after the introduction shows some beautiful footage, including slo-mo, of Jack Ditty doing an awesome job on what is, from everything I've heard, a truly challenging wildwater course. It's worth scrolling to the end to see Panato's winning run, with roll, as well. I think the link is
http://www.wwtv.it/eng/video%20034.html
Good stuff...edg
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Bob, what a great video. Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed meeting you at the race.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I finally finished the "blended" video of the SternCam and an external view of the course. Sorry about the distortion in parts of the audio music track...

YouTube Video of Minden
Last edited by Bob P on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob P