ACA OC Slalom Results? Bragging rights?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

h2sk1
C Guru

ACA OC Slalom Results? Bragging rights?

Post by h2sk1 »

OK, I'm bummed that I couldn't be there. I've seen lots of great pictures, but now I'd like to hear some stories!!

Who was the surprise paddler? Who dumped unexpectedly? Who's 'king of the hill' this year? Who paddled better with a hangover?

I know that Carole, Andrew and Mark will get the results tabulated when the get the chance, but in the meantime I thought I'd see some stories posted.
Jim
C Guru

GREAT Race

Post by Jim »

A few observations from the race:

The river is great, the water was a good level and the course design was a masterpiece. There was a nice flow to the course, no herky-jerky moves along the way. Well, except for when the river threw a surge at you.

Having said that- the course could also punish you. On Saturday I was running in the 15’ class and I had a clean run through gate #17. Then somehow I went too far left and touched #18 and then I 50’d #19. Very frustrating!

The hospitality was WONDERFUL, ranging from Southern hospitality (e.g., I hope my boys grow up to be like Dooley) to Northern hospitality (e.g., the race hosts worked their tails off and it showed- everything was well-organized).

You should be able to get tales of dumps- I had more swims on this course (3 over 5 days, all in tandem runs) than in all of my prior slalom races combined (been racing for about 6 years). There were some big names who got cleaned off by a dump in the river, but I will let them tell their own tales.

King of the hill? Andy Walker laid down some incredibly fast runs, so I think he is wearing that crown, and among the Masters crowd Glenn Pratt did some fancy paddling in the 13’ race class.

I don’t think hangovers were much of a problem… we just ran racers’ meeting a little later on Sunday so that we could all enjoy the nice weather that morning.

I am grateful to the photographers for posting their pictures. We were so busy all week that we never got our camera out, so THANK YOU.
Jim
Louie

dooley is a good un

Post by Louie »

and he even went to Vandy.
Jim
C Guru

Braggin rights

Post by Jim »

Oh yeah- the other person with bragging rights is Carolyn Peterson! She had some GREAT runs!

She also had one of those unexpected dumps (on a tandem run) and a nasty swim on Sunday.
Jim
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Just to bring this to the top...

Has anyone posted the results? Can't find 'em.

If they exist in a spreadsheet, I'd be happy to create a web page from it. Or if necessary, just scan the hard copy and I'll do it by brute force...
Bob P
Keech
c

Post by Keech »

Bob,

I will have a link on the ACAOCS National web site (OCS.Whitewater-Slalom.us) as soon as I find them. I'm assuming that they will appear on Andrew Westwood's web site soon!

Keech
CaroleW.
C Guru

Results

Post by CaroleW. »

Hey all!

I've figured out how to save the results in text file from the Access program the race records are tabulated on (vs scanning a mess o sheets)

I will do some saving tonight now that I've compiled everything.
Then I will send them off to Natalie and you, Keech. Once up on a web page, I can tell folks where to link up to to see them.

Cheers!
Carole
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

You might be able to export the file into Excel format:

Export Table

A spreadsheet is probably easier to convert to PDF or HTML than a text file (although the text file can be converted to Excel...).
Bob P
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

...been out of town for the week, does anyone have results yet?
Keech
c

Post by Keech »

Phil,

We're in the process of getting the results put up on the OCS web site. First pass was missing the non counting runs and was not converted to all seconds, but that's being fixed. It's a big job for the race organizers who are all tired out from running a great race. Our new chairman, Natalie Thomas, is on the case and we'll have them in a few days.

Keech
CaroleW.
C Guru

Natalie's got them!

Post by CaroleW. »

Hi Keech,

Emailed Natalie the results in better format. I'd post them here but not sure how to get the PDF files up.

The webmaster on our site will receive them today sometime, but don't anticipate them being up until next week.

Cheers!
Carole
Keech
c

Post by Keech »

Thanks Carol,

You guys must be really tired. I'm leaving in a few minutes for the Dogs Days Slalom in Bellefonte, PA. I'm meeting Natalie there and we'll work on the results there. If I get internet there or at ASCI, our next stop, I'll get the results on the web as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all your efforts, and Andrew too.

Keech
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

just checking... in between trips, will check next week

THANKS for ALL the hard work !!!
C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Carole & Keech,

I got the results and will pass them on to Keech tomorrow.
As soon as he gets where he has an internet connection he'll try to get them posted.

Thank you!

Natalie